Complaints process

Complaints resolution process

What is a complaint?

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction made to UOW about us, our services, products and or complaint handling where a response or resolution is explicitly or implicitly or legally required.

If you have general feedback (suggestions, praise, concerns) and you are not requesting a formal investigation, you can submit it via the student feedback form.

The best approach is to try and informally resolve your matter at the local level before proceeding with a formal complaint.

We are committed to resolving all matters through informal consultation, however understand that may not always be achieved.  The complaints resolution process at UOW typically adopts a 3 step approach:

Complaint Resolution Process Image

Step 1 - Resolve informally

Self-managed stage - Wherever possible we encourage you to informally resolve the issue at the first level before lodging a formal complaint.  We encourage you to work through any matters of concern that you have with the individual closest to your situation as this is often the most effective way to resolve issues without further escalation.

Step 2 - Formal complaint

University-managed stage - If you are dissatisfied with the outcome at the self-managed stage or, if you are not comfortable in attempting to resolve the issue yourself you may choose to lodge a formal complaint. The CMC will assess your complaint and refer the matter to the appropriate area for investigation.  Please refer to the relevant policy in relation to your complaint. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint at this stage, and you have exhausted any relevant internal appeal options that may apply to your circumstances, you may decide to refer your complaint to an external organisation.

If you have an academic complaint related to your studies then please refer to the Student Complaints page.

Click to lodge a complaint  Click to lodge an anonymous complaint

Step 3 - External review

External review - You can request an appeal of the outcome of the internal review if you are not satisfied with the outcome. Refer to our External Agencies page for organisations that may be able to assist you further.

Last reviewed: 7 February, 2018