What can I study?

What can I Study?

At UOW you broaden your outlook on life and you have a choice of faculties and schools in which to do so.

UOW offers internationally recognised courses at Undergraduate and Postgraduate level. The first step in applying to university is to identify what level of education you are eligible to undertake. If your work experience is relevant to the area you wish to study, you may be eligible for entry into a Graduate Certificate, even if you haven’t completed a Bachelor degree.

If you hold a Bachelor degree, you may be eligible for entry into a Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Masters degree. Please log on to our site for postgraduate students.

Bridging courses

If you need background in a particular area, you can complete a UOW bridging course prior to starting lectures and tutorials. We offer bridging courses in:

  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Physics

Application forms are available from the Current students website. Alternatively, you can call UOW Future Students on 1300 367 869.

Undergraduate Bachelor degree (3–4 years) 

The first level of university education. Many programs allow you to choose elective subjects across different disciplines so you can develop a range of skills and knowledge that meet your own unique needs.

Our popular double degrees let you specialise twice, so you can pursue your interests and further your career prospects. And a double major allows you to fine-tune your focus—you don't have to sacrifice one talent or interest for another.

In some fields, you won’t even need to make a decision about what to major in before you start. Once you’ve decided on, and enrolled in, a degree try to pick first-year subjects that will help keep your options open in case you have a change of heart.

For other ideas, go to CourseFinder and click on ‘Undergraduate


A postgraduate degree is the second level of university education, and offers the choice of coursework or research programs. Most of the coursework Masters degree consists of coursework subjects in a particular discipline or professional area. In some cases, to be eligible for a masters by coursework, you must have completed a recognised Bachelor degree in the same discipline, but some Masters accept applicants from any discipline or offer pathway options.

By undertaking a PhD or Masters by Research program, students submit a written thesis that makes a contribution to a body of knowledge and demonstrates your capacity to conduct independent research. Entry requirements vary; you should first determine your field of study and then find the faculty or academic unit that conducts research in that area.

You could also do a Graduate Diploma (1 year)—to take an alternative direction to your Bachelor degree. A Graduate Certificate (6 months) is for students who have academic qualifications and professional experience other than a Bachelor degree. Both qualifications could lead to entry into a Masters degree.

*If you are interested in postgraduate study, please visit our postgraduate site.

Last reviewed: 21 January, 2019