Helpful articles & FAQs

Who is a mature age student?

UOW considers mature age non-school leavers to be:

  • Over the age of 18 and not currently completing the HSC or IB


  • An Australian citizen; or holder of a permanent humanitarian visa residing in Australia for the completion of their studies; or a New Zealand citizen; or holder of other permanent visas.

What if I don’t have an ATAR or it isn’t high enough?

There are many options for mature age students who do not meet the ATAR requirement, or maybe did not finish to a Year 12 level at high school.

Read more about pathway programs and options for gaining entry to UOW.

How do I apply to UOW?

Mature age non-school leavers can apply directly to the University for the majority of courses. For degrees in Nursing, Education and Medicine, you will need to apply through UAC (Universities Admissions Centre).

Read more about our application process I haven’t studied in a long time.

What support is there at UOW?

UOW offers a wide range of free programs to help you excel academically. Online modules will help you navigate University, Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS) are led by current students who have already successfully completed the subject and there’s a wide variety of workshops, events to help you succeed. Learn more about our support services.

What is the difference between lectures and tutorials?

A lecture is where a professor presents course material to a large group of students. Tutorials are smaller group classes where you’ll put into practice the material you’ve learnt in the lecture. Some degrees might have practicals, seminars or laboratory classes as well. Learn more about UOW lectures and classes.

How many hours per week is uni?

Generally, you’ll need to be on campus for 3 to 5 hours per week, per subject. Allow an extra 6 to 10 hours per week, per subject for reading, studying and assignment work. Full time study is considered as four subjects per academic session (14 weeks) or 12-20 hours per week on campus.

How much does it cost to study at UOW?

University fees vary depending on the course you are studying. Many mature students qualify for HECS-HELP, so you won’t need to pay university fees up front. However, be sure to budget for the cost of transport, textbooks, stationery, etc.

Can mature age students apply for scholarships?

Absolutely. UOW offers a variety of scholarships open to mature age students. You can see the scholarship categories and criteria here.