Your Family

Your Family

Studying at the University of Wollongong may involve moving your family to Australia. Wollongong has many schools, childcare facilities and activities for children and partners.


In Australia, children aged 5-18 must attend school. They will not be granted a Temporary Residence Visa unless they have been enrolled in an Australian school and relevant fees have been paid. For more information, contact the NSW Department of Education Communities.


Childcare facilities are available for children aged six weeks to five years, as well as before- and after-school care for school-aged children. Waiting lists can be long (for example 12 months or more), and places limited, so it is important that you plan well in advance, particularly if your children are under two years old. The cost of childcare in Australia is relatively high.


Activities for children

  • Playgroups are a great way to interact with other families. They offer support and learning for parents and children. Playgroup NSW 
  • School holiday activities are listed on the Wollongong City Council website. 
  • Parks & playgrounds are dotted throughout the city.
  • Story time at the library is just one of the after-school activities on offer at the Wollongong City Library.

Activities for partners

Working is an option for students’ partners. See Working page

English conversation classes are held by the Illawarra Committee for International Students for students and their partners. 

Last reviewed: 4 January, 2018