Working part-time is an avenue for earning extra spending money. However you must have sufficient funds to cover all expenses before you leave your home country. You cannot rely on working in Australia to cover your course fees or living costs. 

A Student Visa will provide with you rights to work during your studies, however there are conditions and limitations:  

  • Students and their dependants cannot work until the student has started studying in Australia;  
  • Students (other than Higher Degree Research students) cannot work more than 40 hours per fortnight (2 weeks) while their course is in session (excluding work done as a registered component of the course)
  • Dependants cannot work more than 40  hours per fortnight,  except dependants of students who have started a Masters or Doctorate course – they can work unlimited hours

If you work in Australia, you will need an Australian tax file number issued by the Australian Taxation Office.

Finding a job

Typical part-time jobs taken by students are in retail, services and hospitality, for example in restaurants, shops, supermarkets, sales, call centres, deliveries. Rates of pay vary, however, you could expect to earn $12-$20/hour before tax.

The UOW Careers Service offers advice on job hunting, and conducts regular workshops on developing job-seeking skills and writing resumes. It has an online Job Board of vacancies and a My JobAlert service.

Many employers in Wollongong advertise vacancies in the classifieds section of the Illawarra Mercury newspaper. Sydney-based positions appear in the Sydney Morning Herald or Daily Telegraph.

Jobs may also appear online at Seek or My Career or in the Thai Press, Singtao Chinese Newspaper or the Australian Chinese Newspaper.

Last reviewed: 26 April, 2012