Holiday Switch off
Please consider which electronic items can be turned off over holiday periods.
Before you turn anything off:
1. Consider the advice below on what should and should not be turned off.
2. Consult with other staff and seek advice.
3. Only Laboratory Managers (or staff assigned to particular equipment) are to turn off anything in Laboratories.
4. Please consider risk management and WH&S issues.
5. Place an I'm off for the holidays post-it note on any shared items that are switched off.
Computers and Monitors
Ensure you switch off your monitor and shutdown your computer before you leave every day (not just over longer periods of absence). If you are unsure how to do so please contact IMTS on ext 3000 or your Faculty IT staff for advice and instructions.
Printers and Scanners and photocopiers
All of these items can be switched off over longer periods of absence. If you are unsure how to do so please contact IMTS on ext 3000 or your Faculty IT staff for advice and instructions.
Shared Large Multifunctional Devices and Fax machines
These items can be switched off over longer periods of absence, however, please discuss this with other staff beforehand and leave a note on the device notifying staff that you have turned it off over the break to save power. In considering whether to turn off these devices, please be aware that if you switch off your multifunctional printer/fax that no faxes will be received during this time. For more advice contact IMTS on ext 3000 or your Faculty IT staff.
Turn off any lights that are manually operated when you leave everyday (not just over longer periods of absence).
Ceiling and Personal Fans
Ensure you turn off your personal and ceiling fans when you leave everyday (not just over longer periods of absence).
As you are probably aware there is a wide range of control methods for the air conditioning systems around campus but generally they will fall in to one of two categories:
1. Automatically Operated systems: these are a mix between local time clocks or campus Building Management and Control System mechanisms. If you are aware of any plant controlled in this manner that will not be required to operate over the holiday break, then please discuss this with other staff in your area and then email the Facilities Management Service Centre to advise them of the area(s) involved (Building & Room Numbers are good). Facilities Management Division will then do all that is practicable to avoid running the units unnecessarily. Please contact them as early as possible to allow time to make the necessary changes before the holiday break.
As per previous Christmas periods, Wollongong Campus air-conditioning will be scheduled to function as it normally would on a Sunday to reduce energy use from the 23rd December 2017 - 1st January 2018 (inclusive). Note: This will not affect equipment that is currently programmed to run 24 hours per day. Please contact Facilities Management Service Centre prior to the 18th December 2017, if your area will be occupied and you cannot use local after- hours switches or buttons. Also contact Facilities Management Service Centre if your area can remain off for additional days.
2. Local manually controlled systems: please ensure that these units are turned off when you leave each day – including when leaving for longer periods of absence.
Wall style Zip Boilers are able to be turned off at the power point. Please discuss this with other staff beforehand and leave a note on the device notifying staff that you have turned it off over the break to save power. If staff are coming in during longer periods of absence consider using a kettle to boil water instead during this time. On advice from maintenance staff, DO NOT TURN OFF the under sink style zip boilers. If you want further advice or clarification please contact the Facilities Management Service Centre.
Once empty, fridges used to store food can be switched off over the holiday break. It is a good opportunity to have a clean out of the fridge but please discuss it with other staff to help decide the best approach.
Things to consider include:
- Can we turn off all fridges?
- Will staff be in the office during this period?
- If there is more than one fridge, can we turn one off and move the items into the one that will be left on?
- Can staff take home items in fridges before they leave to go on the break?
- Who will be responsible for disposing and removing items left in the fridge that is to be turned off?
- Don’t forget to leave a note on the fridge notifying staff that you have turned it off over the break to save power.
- DO NOT TURN OFF fridges that are used for storing non food items.
Equipment in Laboratories
Only Laboratory Managers (or staff assigned to particular items of equipment) are to turn off anything in Laboratory areas. Laboratory Managers (and assigned staff) are to use their discretion taking into consideration risk management, WH&S, research requirements and the operating issues of the items prior to turning off any items of equipment under their management. It is also strongly suggested that they discuss any proposal to turn off items in consultation with users.
If you have any queries, please contact the Environmental Unit.