Research Interests and Publications
- Soft robotics
- Intelligent mechatronics
- System dynamics and control
- Robotic drug delivery systems
- Novel actuation concepts for biomechatronic applications
- Robotic mechanisms and manipulation systems
- Soft and smart actuators and sensors
- Medical robotics
- Clinical trials for innovative biomedical devices
- Design and analysis of biomedical devices
- Finite element analysis for biomedical engineering
- Gait and movement analysis
- Prosthetic, orthotic and rehabilitation innovation
- Smart technology for aging generations
- Structural analysis for biomedical devices and materials
- Wearable devices used in rehabilitation and gerontology
- Kinematics and design of mechanisms
- Physical human-robot interaction
- Static and dynamic balancing
- Serial and parallel robots
- Soft and continuum robotics
- Surgical robotics
- Rehabilitation robotics
- Assistive technology
- Historic mechanism and machine science
- Active materials with tailored material-tissue interaction
- Micro and nanoporous structures and nanofibers made of electroactive materials and their applications to tissue engineering, drug delivery and wound healing
- Wearable sensors
- Wearable electronics
- Human-Robot Interaction
- Rehabilitation and Medical Robotics
- Motion Control
- Intelligent Industrial Automation
- Adaptive and Robust Nonlinear Control
- Wearable robotics
- Soft Prosthetics and orthotics
- Innovative manufacturing
- Compliant / monolithic mechanism design and manufacturing
- Finite element modelling and analysis, and it is application to biomedical engineering
- Rehabilitation robotics
- Neuromechanics of movement
- Human-robot interaction
- Human modelling and simulation
- Computer methods for clinical applications
- Patient-specific body models
- Modelling and design of orthoses and prostheses
- Medical device design
- In-body robotics
- Magnetic actuators
- Soft robotics
- Prosthetic devices
- Computational fluid mechanics
- H. Zhou and G. Alici, "A novel magnetic anchoring system for wireless capsule endoscopes operating within the gastrointestinal tract", IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol. 24, No.3, pp. 1106—1116, June 2019.
- B. Stephens-Fripp, R Mutlu, and G. Alici, "A Comparison of Recognition and Sensitivity in the Upper Arm and Lower Arm to Mechanotactile Stimulation", IEEE Transactions on Medical Robotics and Bionics, 10.1109/TMRB.2019.2956231, November 2019. (in print)
- C. Tawk, A. Gillett, M. in het Panhuis, G.M. Spinks and G. Alici, "A 3D Printed Omni-Purpose Soft Gripper", IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol.35, No.5, pp.1268 -1275, October 2019.
- W. Hu and G. Alici, "Bio-inspired 3D-Printed Helical Soft Pneumatic Actuators and Their Characterization”, Soft Robotics,https://doi.org/10.1089/soro.2019.0015, November 2019.
- C. Tawk, G.M, Spinks, M. in het Panhuis, and G. Alici, " 3D Printable Linear Soft Vacuum Actuators (LSOVA): their modeling, performance quantification and application in soft robotic systems ", IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol.24, No.5, pp. 2118-2129, October 2019.
- A. Remennikov, D. Kalubadanage, T. Ngo, P. Mendis, G. Alici and A. Whittaker, “Development and performance evaluation of large-scale auxetic protective systems for localised impulsive loads”, Int. J. of Protective Structures, doi.org/10.1177/2041419619858087, June 2019 (in print).
- V. Sencadas, C. Tawk, and G. Alici, “Highly Sensitive Soft Foam Sensors to Empower Robotic Systems”, Advanced Materials Technologies,https://doi.org/10.1002/admt.201900423, August 2019.
- T. D. Than, G. Alici, H. Zhou, S. Harvey, and W. Li, “Enhanced Localization of Robotic Capsule Endoscopes Using Positron Emission Markers and Rigid-Body, Vol.49, No.6, pp.1270 – 1284, June 2019.
- C. Sancak, F. Yamac, M. Itik, and G. Alici, “Model-free control of an electro-active polymer actuator”, Materials Research Express, Vol. 6, No.5, Article No. 055309, 2019.
- C. Tawk, M. in het Panhuis, G.M, Spinks and G. Alici, "Soft Pneumatic Sensing Chambers (SPSC) for Generic and Interactive Human-Machine Interfaces", Advanced Intelligent Systems, doi: 10.1002/aisy.201900002, April 2019 (in print).
- J. Zhang, T. Yildirim, S. Sun, G. Alici, S. Zhang and W. Li, “Transverse and parametric nonlinear dynamics of a doubly clamped resonator", Journal of Low Frequency Noise, Vibration & Active Control, May 2019 (in print).
- B. Stephens-Fripp, M. Walker, E. Goddard and G. Alici, "A Survey on What Australians with Upper Limb Difference Want in a Prosthesis: Justification for using Soft Robotics and Additive Manufacturing for Customised Prosthetic Hands", Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, DOI: 10.1080/17483107.2019.1580777, February 2019.
- H. Mai, R. Mutlu, C. Tawk, G. Alici and V. Sencadas, "Ultra-stretchable MWCNT–Ecoflex piezoresistive sensors for human motion detection applications”, Composites Science and Technology, Vol.173, pp. 118-124, March 2019.
- L. Robertson, R. Abbas, G. Alici, A. Munoz and K. Michael, "Engineering based design methodology for embedding ethics in autonomous robots", Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol.107, No.3, pp.582 – 599, March 2019.
- C. Tawk, M. in het Panhuis, G.M, Spinks and G. Alici, "Bioinspired 3D Printable Soft Vacuum Actuators (SOVA) for Locomotion Robots, Grippers and Artificial Muscles", Soft Robotics, Vol. 5, No. 6, pp.685-694, December 2018.
- H. Zhou, A. Mohammadi, D. Oetomo and G. Alici, "A novel monolithic soft robotic thumb for an anthropomorphic prosthetic hand", IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, Vol.4, No.2, pp. 602 – 609, April 2019.
- R. M. Mayer, A. Mohammadi, G. Alici, P Choong, and D. Oetomo, “Bone Conduction as Sensory Feedback Interface: A Preliminary Study”, 41st Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC'19), Berlin Germany, 23-27 July 2019.
- S. Young, B. Stephens-Fripp, A. Gillett, H Zhou, and G. Alici, “Pattern Recognition for Prosthetic Hand User’s Intentions using EMG Data and Machine Learning Techniques", 2019 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp.544-549, Hong Kong, July 2019.
- B. Stephens-Fripp, E. Wallace, T. Searle, and G. Alici, “Design of a Sensorised Object to Test Sensory Feedback for Prosthetic Hands", 2019 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp.157-162, Hong Kong, July 2019.
- C. Tawk, G.M Spinks, M. in het Panhuis, and G. Alici, “3D Printable Vacuum-Powered Soft Linear Actuators", 2019 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp.50-55, Hong Kong, July 2019.
- C. Tawk, Y. Gao, R. Mutlu, and G. Alici, “Fully 3D Printed Monolithic Soft Gripper with High Conformal Grasping Capability", 2019 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp.1139-1144, Hong Kong, July 2019.
- S. O'Brien, T. Searle, and G. Alici, “Flexible Surface Electrodes Targeting Biopotential Signals from Forearm Muscles for Control of Prosthetic Hands: Part 1 – Characterisation of sEMG Electrodes", 2019 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp.1019-1024, Hong Kong, July 2019.
- S. O'Brien, T. Searle, and G. Alici, “Flexible Surface Electrodes Targeting Biopotential Signals from Forearm Muscles for Control of Prosthetic Hands: Part 2 - Characterization of Substrates for Strain Sensors", 2019 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp.1025-1030, Hong Kong, July 2019.
- D. Singh, C. Tawk, R. Mutlu, and G. Alici, “Developing Haptic Feedback Unit Based on Monolithic Soft Robotics", 2019 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp.388-393, Hong Kong, July 2019.