Careers services for Alumni
Getting your first serious job post-graduation can be bewildering. UOW is here to help with free access to a range of careers services for two years after you graduate. To help you get started, try out some planning tools to clarify your career journey, understand what personal attributes you can offer an employer and create an action plan.
Services to improve your employability
- CareerHub - To access CareerHub after graduation you will need to reset your password the first time you log in.
- You can access CareerHub here
- You will then be prompted with a log in screen, please select ‘Reset your Password’ and follow the prompts.
Through CareerHub you can:
- Search for jobs, including: graduate, vacation, part-time and casual, and work experience opportunities.
- Register for workshops, employer presentations, employer information sessions and expos.
- Book an appointment with a careers consultant or career counsellor
- Access careers resources such as fact sheets, links, news and FAQs
- Career Consultations – UOW’s experienced career counsellors and consultants offer individual career consultations, ideas to enhance your employability, job search support, resume advice and assistance with interview preparation. Appointments can be conducted in-person at the Wollongong and satellite campuses, by phone or by Skype. To schedule an appointment login to CareerHub.
- Resume Review - You can have your resume reviewed by our qualified team. Log into CareerHub and upload your resume as an MS Word Document and it will be reviewed within five to six working days. To access either the online or drop-in resume review services, you must have attended a resume workshop or lecture offered by Careers Central and/or have reviewed the applying for jobs section on our website.
- Workshops - Check out the workshop timetable and register online.
- Advertise Jobs - If you’re interested in promoting employment opportunities to UOW students we’d like to invite you to register on CareerHub and start utilising our JobBoard to target prospective employees. As a UOW alumnus you can advertise for free for up to eight weeks on the JobBoard. Contact UOW Careers Central for further details and assistance with getting started as an employer on CareerHub.
Already in a job?
You may be looking for ways extend yourself and move your career forward. Many jobs are gained from within the organisation you are currently involved in and knowing what you want to do assists your managers and colleagues in helping you get there. How about putting your hand up for more responsibility in your current role; maybe initiating, leading or contributing to a project? When you have your performance appraisal you could suggest some training or projects you'd be keen to be involved in. That way you've shown the company you're keen and you've widened your capabilities. When advancement opportunities do arise you're one of the main contenders.
Maybe you want to move to a slightly different career but not quite sure what that might be. Begin by researching the range of jobs you could do with your qualifications and experience so you can be clearer about your career options. One of the best ways to do this is Information Interviewing, i.e. talking to people who are doing the sort of work you think you might be interested in. Those conversations are perfect for:
- Building your career knowledge
- Ideas for enhancing your career development
- Learning what training or experience you might need to move you closer to being in a position to apply for those roles
- Growing your professional relationship and networks, and widening your job search connections
Hide and seek?
And then there's the hidden job market.