Wollongong Campuses UOW Security
UOW Security operates in Wollongong 24 hours a day, seven days a week throughout the year. The unit responds to the Wollongong Campus, Innovation Campus and Student Accommodation and business activity across Wollongong.
UOW Security Operations Centre is located in Northfields Avenue at Building 72 (refer to map)
UOW Security’s role is to protect people and property on University properties. The unit does monitor the safety of people in the immediate surrounds of the campuses through the SafeZone app.
UOW Security provides an invaluable service to the campus community:
- Responding to emergencies and assisting emergency services (police, fire and ambulance) to respond to incidents on campus (via Campus Emergency Management Plan delegation).
- Providing first aid assistance.
- Responding to security, intrusion and fire alarms.
- Responding to reports about suspicious persons, activity or conduct.
- Patrolling campus (via foot, bike and vehicle) for safety and protection of people and assets.
- Providing safe escort service after dark to staff or students returning to their motor vehicles, or walking to the bus stops on campus or in Northfields Avenue.
- Providing assistance with directions or advice and answering general enquiries.
- Identifying safety hazards on campus (including lighting surveys of the campus on a regular basis).
- Handling found and lost property enquiries.
- Providing assistance with lost or found children.
- Accepting incident reports from members of the community about thefts etc on or off campus.
- Supervising campus traffic and parking operations.
- Undertaking an external ground floor building lock up on weeknights (times vary throughout the year).
Contacting UOW Security
General Support Staff are on duty at the UOW Security Operations Centre:
During session – Monday to Friday, 7am - 11pm
Out of session – Monday to Friday, 10am - 6pm
Outside these times the telephones are supported by a pager third party call centre and Security Officers will be contacted to deal with enquiries and assistance.
UOW Security can be contacted by phone, through the Safezone app, and via any Security telephone located about campus.
Contact UOW Security on 02 4221 4900 (x4900), or raise an Emergency Alert, a First Aid Alert or Help call using the Safezone app, or dial #1 from any campus security telephone. If you have called an ambulance, please ensure that you notify Security so they can direct the ambulance to the required destination.
For general enquiries and safety escorts
Contact UOW Security on 4221 4555 (x4555) or dial #3 from any campus security telephone.
Members of the campus community provide invaluable support to UOW Security operations by:
- Reporting emergency incidents (e.g. first aid or fire incidents) immediately.
- Reporting any problems, suspicious persons and non-emergency incidents immediately.
- Following the directions of Security Officers
Reporting incidents and emergencies
Staff and students are encouraged to report incidents that may impact on the safety of the campus community to UOW Security.
Request a safety escort
If you are at Wollongong or Innovation Campus you can request a safety escort to your car or public transport.
UOW Security officers
UOW Security employs both male and female Security Officers. All Officers are licensed security operatives as required by the NSW Security Industry Act, and maintain a current senior first aid certificate and undergo specialised training. Security Officers are required to wear a photographic security licence along with an UOW Authorised Person Identity Card with photo identification. Should any person approach you stating that they are a Security Officer and the above cards are not presented, contact the Security Office Operations Centre immediately.
The Security Officer uniform consists of a yellow and navy shirt, with the words ‘UOW Security’ screen printed in navy blue on the back. The front of the shirt bears the words ‘Security’ on the right side. On the left side are the words 'Authorised Person, UOW Access & Order Rules'. The shirt is worn with navy combat trousers with pockets. A black equipment belt is also worn.
UOW Security licensing
University of Wollongong
Master Licence No: 407370903
NSW Security Industry Act 1997
Note: UOW's approved Security Contractor is SNP Security
Master Licence M/L No: 400674602