UOW SafeZone App
The SafeZone app enhances personal safety at UOW by making it easier to contact UOW Security if help is needed. Safezone app is a great resource if you ever need emergency assistance for yourself or someone else. SafeZone app will help you to get the right help in a timely manner.
SafeZone is free to download and access by UOW students, staff, approved visitors, contractors and student accommodation residents at all UOW campuses and accommodation sites. UOW Security monitors SafeZone 24 hours a day.
Within the UOW SafeZone coverage areas if you raise an Emergency Alert, Help or First Aid call you will be connected to UOW Security. If you are outside of the UOW SafeZone coverage areas the app will inform you and prompt you to call triple zero 000.
If you are registered for SafeZone you will automatically be covered in any of the UOW coverage areas so you do not have to do anything differently if you are visiting another campus.
All Alerts and Help or First Aid Calls are responded to by UOW Security (Wollongong Team). If you are at a campus outside of the Wollongong area the Wollongong UOW Security team coordinate a local response for you.
SafeZone is funded via the Student Services and Amenity Fund.
How do I download and register for the SafeZone app?
Download the app by visiting safezoneapp.com. Once downloaded you need to register and confirm that registration:
- Click on the Safezone app icon and select 'Sign Up'
- Follow the prompts – you will need to enter your name, e-mail address, create a password, and provide your name and mobile number. Optional: you can also upload a profile picture. This is helpful when the UOW Security team receives your alert and needs to identify you. UOW may also offer an additional text field for you to include other optional information that could help responders when they are coming to your assistance. This is a free text field – you can include for example, your office number (staff), a medical condition, a sensory limitation such as blindness or deafness, or mobility limitation (e.g. you require wheelchair access). If you include this information, the Officer responding to your call will be able to better plan his or her response.
- Once you have submitted your registration form, you will receive an email from CriticalArc.com, this will include a link that you MUST click to complete your registration. If you do not receive the email within a minute or two, check your spam folder.
- If you have any problems with registration, either contact UOW Security or contact the support team at: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not complete the registration process UOW Security will not receive your alerts.
- Please refer to the Legal Statement on SafeZone which outlines how your privacy and other matters will be handled.
- If you have any questions about the SafeZone app refer to the Fact Sheets
Test the SafeZone app
UOW Security and CriticalArc have defined two test zones at Wollongong Campus where you can activate your SafeZone - Emergency Alert. Remember these are test zones, so a 'real' alert cannot be activated in these zones. In these zones, you can activate an Emergency Alert and the SafeZone system will send you a message to let you know your Emergency Alert Test has worked.
These test locations are active (look for the signs):
- Location 1 – Central Duck Pond Lawn adjacent to Building 11.
- Location 2 – Building 67 adjacent Digital Sign Screens.
You can view test locations on your phone within the app by using the app menu and select Regions and scroll the list to find a test location.
Please contact UOW Security on 02 4221 4555 to arrange a test of your SafeZone- Emergency Alert if you are located at a Metropolitan or Regional campus or to book an appointment and test the app at the UOW Security Operations Centre at Wollongong Campus (Bld 39) on Monday mornings between 8:30 am and 9:30 am. A Security Officer will assist you and show you how the system works.
Feedback about the SafeZone app
If you experience issues or if you have any feedback suggestions about the SafeZone app, please contact us via UOW feedback or contact Critical Arc via email email@example.com or visit SafeZone's Facebook Page.