What is the UOW Wollongong Campus Master Plan?
The UOW Wollongong Campus Master Plan creates a vision and framework to guide the physical development of the Wollongong campus over the next 20 years. It is a guiding document that not only articulates our visions for the future, but also allows flexibility to respond to future opportunities and challenges.
The Master Plan builds on the high-quality landscape and public realm of the existing campus while improving its relationship to the surrounding community and connections to Wollongong and the region. We aim to provide world-class teaching and learning facilities that are not just within the buildings but across attractive public spaces for people to talk and share their ideas, participate in sports or simply enjoy quiet reflection.
The plan was defined through consultation with University of Wollongong staff, students, government and industry partners and the local Wollongong community, reflection on technical studies and best practice examples of universities throughout the world.
UOW engaged a multidisciplinary team of consultants led by campus master planners, MGS Architects, to ensure a thorough and integrated understanding of the complexities of the campus environment. MGS was awarded the tender through a competitive process, and was selected based on their proven track record across similar national and international university consultation projects.
Some key considerations of the plan were:
- Academic facilities and student/staff populations for future growth
- Facilities for students and staff such as accommodation, cafes, sports, retail, student services
- Open space and public amenity
- Our relationships with surrounding neighbourhoods and communities
- Environmentally sustainable growth
- Vehicle movements, including car access, parking and servicing
- Pedestrian pathways, access, signage and security
- Cycle access and storage
- Public transport facilities
The plan will be reviewed and updated every 5 years.