Complaints process

The University aims to treat any concern or complaint seriously, and will seek a resolution as quickly as possible. If you have experienced a problem with a UOW service, product, staff member or student, and you would like a formal investigation to commence, then you should let us know by submitting a formal complaint. This page will explain the process for you.

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction made to UOW about us, our services, products and or complaint handling where a response or resolution is explicitly or implicitly or legally required.

If you have general feedback i.e. suggestions, praise, or a concern (and you are not requesting a formal investigation) feedback can be submitted via UOW's Feedback portal

Complaint resolution process

We are committed to resolving all matters through informal consultation, however understand that may not always be achieved. The complaints resolution process at UOW typically adopts a 3 step approach:

Step 1 - Resolve informally (self managed)

Wherever possible we encourage you to informally resolve the issue at the first level before lodging a formal complaint. We encourage you to work through any matters of concern that you have with the individual closest to your situation as this is often the most effective way to resolve issues without further escalation.

Step 2 - Formal complaint (university managed)

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome at the self-managed stage or, if you are not comfortable in attempting to resolve the issue yourself you may choose to lodge a formal complaint. The CMC will assess your complaint and refer the matter to the appropriate area for investigation. Please refer to the relevant policy in relation to your complaint. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint at this stage, and you have exhausted any relevant internal appeal options that may apply to your circumstances, you may decide to refer your complaint to an external organisation.

Step 3 - External review

You can request an appeal of the outcome of the internal review if you are not satisfied with the outcome. The following external agencies may be able to assist you further:

Contact the Complaints Management Centre

Visit us at Building 22, Room 106, University of Wollongong, Northfields Ave, Wollongong, NSW, 2522