Frequently asked questions

What is a complaint?

The University recognises a complaint as an expression of dissatisfaction about us, our services, products and or complaint handling where a response or resolution is explicitly or implicitly or legally required.

I don't feel comfortable talking about my matter with my immediate supervisor. Who else can I speak to?

UOW has people who can assist you with advice and guidance - including:

How long will it take to investigate my complaint?

Your complaint can take up to 28 days before a decision is reached.

Can I remain anonymous?

Anonymous complaints will be investigated; however, if there is insufficient information UOW may decide not to pursue your complaint.

I have tried to resolve this informally but nothing has been done. How do I proceed?

If you have tried to manage the situation yourself but have not reached a suitable resolution you can lodge a formal complaint. Formal complaints are managed confidentially by University staff .

For academic complaints you will need to complete the Coursework Student Academic Complaint Form or the Higher Degree Research Student Academic Complaint Form.

I didn't feel comfortable about making a complaint when it happened. Is it too late to do so now?

There are strict guidelines as to when you need to lodge an academic complaint. The University will not investigate any other matters that have occurred greater than 12 months.

Who else will know about my complaint?

Your identity will not be disclosed unless you give permission to the individual managing your complaint to do so.

Information about your complaint will only be disclosed to those individuals directly related to the situation.

Are there any good tips to lodging a complaint?

  1. Be clear about the nature of your complaint. Summarise it succinctly and explain your expected outcome or what you hope to achieve.
  2. Gather all the information and evidence. Always submit copies of evidence, not the original.
  3. Create a timeline, if you think this will help.
  4. Complete all aspects of the University's internal complaints and appeals procedures or if unsure seek guidance from the Complaints Management Centre.
  5. Stay focused and positive.