Recycling Right

Recycling Right at UOW

There are often a lot of questions about how to Recycle Right.  This information has been complied to support you to put the right thing in the right bin at UOW and at home and to find out how to recycle items that can not be placed in the regular recycling bins.

There are a few types of bins at UOW where you can recycle.  The yellow top wheelie bins that many of us have at home are for co-mingled recycling.  The outdoor recycling and indoor recycling bins that you find at UOW are also for co-mingled recycling.  In some places at UOW (such as the Wollongong Campus Library and in office spaces) there are also bins for paper only.  These are blue wheelie bins with blue bases and blue lids (or are bins labelled specifically for paper only).  You will also find General waste bins at UOW and the contents of these bins are send to landfill.  General waste bins are typically labelled and/or are red lid with green based wheelie bins (like the ones many of us have at home).  Some General waste wheelie bins (such as those used by UOW Pulse food outlets) have blue lids and grey or green bases.  

Visit the following webpages for information on what  should be placed in each of these bins:

 What else can be recycled but not via the recycle bins?

There are also a number of items that can be recycled just not via the regular recycling bin.  Information on how to recycle these items at home and at UOW are provided below:

Soft Plastics

Plastic bags, soft plastic food wrapper and soft packaging plastic cannot be recycled via the normal recycling processes.  The recycling bins at UOW are just like the recycling bins at home.  Soft plastics cannot be disposed and recycled via these bins.  Soft Plastics can be recycled but require a separate collection service. For soft plastics collected at home a number of supermarket chains have soft plastic collection bins.
Visit to find a soft plastic collection service near you.

At UOW there are a number soft plastic bins at Wollongong Campus to collect soft plastics generated by work areas. If you work in an area that generates large quantities of soft plastic and would like a soft plastic collection bin in your area please contact the Environment Unit.  If you generate large quantities of soft plastic on an occasionally basis please collect it and contact Environment Unit to find out where you can place it for recycling.


Batteries are considered hazardous waste and should be disposed of responsibly.  To dispose of batteries from home visit for information on recycling and disposal options.  For Batteries to dispose from work activities at UOW please follow the Hazardous waste process and visit the WHS webpage for details.


For UOW generated DVD and CD’s and their cases there is a confidential DVD and CD recycling service available which is located in IMTS in Bld 39.  For small quantities, drop off your CD’s or DVD’s to IMTS for disposal in the DVD/CD recycling bin. For large quantities contact the Facilities Management Service Centre to request the use of the CD/DVD recycling bin for a short period.  The bin will be transported to your area and can be used and then returned to IMTS.

Electronic items (ewaste)

Electronic items can be recycled. Visit the UOW electronic waste webpage for details on how to dispose of unwanted electronic items from UOW.  Contact your local council for details on how to dispose of your electronic waste from home.

Mobile phones

Mobile phones can be recycled at UOW via Mobile muster collection locations.  Visit the how to recycle mobile phones at UOW webpage for more information.

Print and Toner Cartridges

Print and Toner cartridges can be dropped off for recycling at various locations at UOW.  Visit the how to recycle print and toner cartridges at UOW  webpage for more information.


Expanded Polystyrene packaging (not including takeaway food packaging) can be recycled but requires a special collection service.   If your UOW work area generates large quantities of polystyrene on a regular or an occasional basis then the Environment Unit can arrange for a collection option for you.  Please contact to discuss.    For Expanded Polystyrene packaging waste generated at home  the Recycling near you website will direct you to the nearest recycling facility.


Unwanted furniture from work areas at UOW that are in good condition can be reused.  Please take a photo and email it along with a description to  A website is currently being developed to allow for sharing of information about unwanted reusable UOW office furniture that can be used at UOW.  To dispose of furniture that is not in a good condition and is unable to be reused please contact the Facilities Management Service Centre to discuss disposal options.

For disposal of furniture at home contact secondhand furniture and charity stores.  Wollongong City Council has prepared a list of all op shops in the Wollongong Area.  Download the Opshop guide (pdf)  Many of these stores will collect unwanted furniture from your home if it is in good condition.  

Also consider donating unwanted furniture and household items to UOW's Goodwill Hunting campaign which is hosted annually at the start of every year.  

For furniture from home that are not able to be reused many Councils offer household clean-up services.  You will  need to book a Cleanup Service prior to moving your items onto the street.  For those living in Wollongong City Council area please visit their On Call Household Cleanup Service webpage  for details.  It is important to be aware that placing of unwanted furniture and other waste on the street without having booked a Cleanup service is considered illegal dumping and significant fines can apply.

Eye Glasses

Do you have an old pair of prescription glasses that you no longer need?  Then rather leaving them in a draw you can donate them to the onesight charity for reuse.  A staff member here at UOW Wollongong Campus will kindly accept them and donate them to onesight.  For more details on where and how you can donate them at UOW visit How to recycle eye glasses at UOW website. 

What about other types of waste?

 Hazardous waste 

For Hazardous waste generated at UOW visit the WHS webpage for details on how to dispose of hazardous waste properly.

For chemicals and other similar waste generated at home Household Chemical Collections are hosted by the NSW EPA  throughout the year.  Visit the Household Chemical Collection website for details on the dates and locations for collections in your local government area.

Do you have a item to dispose that you don't know what to do with?

Landfill is not necessarily the only option for disposal of waste items but it is the most expensive.  From time to time work areas at UOW have large quantities of unusual items for disposal.   The Environmental Unit is here to support the disposal of these sorts of items and have assisted in the past to dispose of quantities of unusual items (e.g. graduation gowns, office folders, pool lane ropes, sacks of wheat) in the most environmentally responsible manner.  Disposal of waste to landfill is expensive and many items that need to be disposed can either be reused, composted or recycled.  Do not dispose of these items to landfill at UOW without first contacting the Environment Unit or to discuss disposal options.   It is important to think ahead as organising appropriate disposal may take some time to investigate and  coordinate.   

For information on how to dispose of  items from home the Recycling near you website will direct you to the nearest recycling facility for specific items.

Want more information?


Last reviewed: 11 September, 2017