Terms of Reference and Membership Provisions
Terms of Reference
The Community Engagement Committee (CEC) is a formally constituted committee which is advisory to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO).
The Community Engagement Committee shall:
- Advise on the development, monitoring and review of the University’s community engagement goals embedded in the University Strategic Plan;
- Advise on community engagement priorities and projects;
- Advise where appropriate on internal policies and practices relevant to community engagement activities;
- Facilitate effective community engagement links between faculties and professional units and enterprises;
- Facilitate effective community engagement links between the University and the external communities; and
- Inform the Community Investment Steering Group’s priorities and decisions.
The Community Engagement Committee shall consist of:
- Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) as Chair
- Community Engagement Manager, Advancement Division as Deputy Chair
- Director, Advancement Division
- Director, Commercial Developments Unit
- Director, Graduate Career Development and Employability
- Senior Manager, Student Equity and Success
- Director, Research Services Office
- Director, Innovation and Commercial Research (ICR)
- Director, Accommodation Services
- Director, Facilities Management
- Director, Library Services
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Inclusion and Outreach)
- Head of Woolyungah Indigenous Centre
- Chair of Academic Senate
- A representative from UOW Pulse
- A representative from the Office of the DVC Health and Communities
- One representative from each of the five Faculties (five positions nominated by the Executive Dean)
Wherever possible, a diversity of genders should be represented on the Committee.
Wherever possible, membership of the committee will include Indigenous representation.
Unless otherwise provided, the term of office of all elected members shall be two years and appointed by the Chair.
The CAO may appoint another member of staff to Chair if the Chair and Deputy Chair are unable to attend a meeting.
Where a member is unavailable that member may nominate a representative to attend on their behalf; the member should inform the CEC Executive Officer of nominated replacement.
Each member’s role on the CEC may extend to being involved in a working party or forum. These will be formed when needs arise to investigate an issue or topic in-detail and may require an additional face-to-face meeting or online mechanism.
Committee members wanting to take leave of absence during their term should seek the approval of the Committee. Any short term membership replacements will be a matter for the Chair and the Committee to determine.
The quorum for the committee meeting is defined as 50% of the membership, plus one.
Where attention is drawn to a loss of quorum, the meeting may be adjourned until such time as the Chair may determine.
The Committee will meet three times per year. Additional meetings may be called at the discretion of the Chair.
Committee members are required to be fully prepared for each meeting, having read the documentation in advance, and to make every reasonable effort to attend each meeting.
Support for the Committee is provided by the Advancement Division. Comments and questions about the Committee may be directed to the CEC Executive Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org or 02 4239 2518.