Dr Wanqing Li B.Sc (ZJU), M.Sc (ZJU), PhD (UWA), SMIEEE
Office: Building 3.101
Tel: +61 2 4221 5410 or 4661, Fax: +61 2 4221 4170 or +61 2 4227 3277
Wanqing Lireceived his B.Sc. in physics and electronics and M.Sc. in computer science from Zhejiang University (Xiqi Campus), in 1983 and 1987 respectively. In 1997, he received a PhD in electronic engineering from The University of Western Australia. He was a Lecturer (87-90) and Associate Professor (91-92) at the Department of Computer Science, Zhejiang University of China. He joint Motorola Lab in Sydney (98-03) as a Senior Researcher and later a Principal Researcher. From Dec. 2007 to Feb. 2008 and from Jan. to Feb. 2010, he was a visiting researcher at Microsoft Research, Redmond, US. Since 2004, he has been a Senior Lecturer and then Associate Professor with the School of Computer Science and Software Engineering, University of Wollongong. He is now the Deputy Director of the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Research Institute, China of University Wollongong.
Dr. Li is a co-founder of the Advanced Multimedia Research Lab, formerly Centre for Multimedia Signal Processing and Content Management, at
of University Wollongong. He has over 30 years combined industrial and academic research experience in multimedia. He has initiated, led and contributed to a number of successful R&D projects funded by government and industry. He received Motorola CTO’s Award in 2003 due to his significant contribution in the area of video analysis. Dr Li has filed six US patents. He has authored and co-authored about 100 refereed papers in the field of multimedia signal processing. His current research interests are human motion analysis, multimodal biometric cryptosystems, automatic annotation and intelligent retrieval and adaptation of multimedia content and image/video watermarking. Dr. Li has served as a Co-organizer of the International workshop on HAU3D’11-13, publication chair of MMSP'08, General Co-Chair of ASIACCS'09 and DRMTICS'05. He Dr. Li regularly serves as a technical program committee member and session chair in international conferences and a reviewer of IEEE Transactions.
· Computer Vision and Machine Learning - Human activity understanding, human detection and face analysis
· Multimedia Signal Processing and Understanding – Multimodal video analysis and event detection, image and video retrieval
· Free Viewpoint Video (FVV) - Acquisition and coding of ray-space using small number of cameras
· Medical Image Processing and Understanding – Image reconstruction for low-dose X-ray and fast MR imaging, segmentation of medical images
Refereed Journal Articles (Selected)
6. H. Tian, W. Li, L. Wang and P. Ogunbona, Smoke Detection in Video: An Image Separation Approach, International Journal of Computer Vision, DOI 10.1007/s11263-013-0656-6 (accepted on 23 August 2013).
7. Duc Thanh Nguyen, Wanqing Li, Philip O. Ogunbona, Inter-Occlusion Reasoning for Human Detection Based on Variational Mean Field, Neurocomputing, 110, 2013, pp.56-61.
8. Thanh Duc Nguyen, P. Ogunbona and W. Li, A Novel Shape-Based Non-Redundant Local Binary Pattern Descriptor for Object Detection, Pattern Recognition, 46(5), 2013, pp.1485-1500.
9. C. Zhan, W. Li and P. Ogunbona, Measuring the Degree of Face Familiarity Based on Extended NMF, ACM Transactions on Applied Perception, 10(2), 2013, pp.8:1-8:21.
10. Jianhua Luo, Shanshan Wang, Wanqing Li and Yuemin Zhu, Removal of Truncation Artefacts in Magnetic Resonance by Recovering Missing Spectral Data, Journal of Magnetic Resonance, 224, 2012, pp.82-93.
11. C. Zhan, W. Li and P. Ogunbona, Local representation of faces through extended NMF, Electronics Letters, 48(7), 2012, pp.373-375.
12. J. Luo, Y. Zhu, W. Li, P. Croisille and I. E. Magnin, MRI Reconstruction From 2D Truncated k-Space, Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 35(5), 2012, pp.1196-206
13. J. Luo, J. Liu, W. Li and Y. Zhu, Image Reconstruction from Sparse Projections Using S-Transform, Journal of Mathematical Imaging and Vision, 43, 2012, pp.227-239.
14. Wanqing Li, Philip Ogunboba, Chris deSilver and Yannia Attikiouzel, Semi-Supervised MAP Segmentation of Brain Tissues from Dual Echo MR Scans Using Incomplete Training Data, IET Image Processing, Vol.5, Issue.3, pp.222-232, April 2011.
15. Duc Thanh Nguyen, Wanqing Li and Philip Ogunbona, A Local Intensity Distribution Descriptor for Object Detection, Electronics Letters, Volume 47, Issue 5, 2011, p. 322-324.
16. Jianhua Luo,
18. L. Dong, G. Yu, P. Ogunbona and W. Li, An Efficient Iterative Algorithm for Image Thresholding, Pattern Recognition Letter, 29, 2008, pp.1311-1316.
19. J. Randall, L. Guan, W. Li and X. Zhang, The HCM for Perceptual Image Segmentation, NeuroComputing, 71(10-12), 2008, pp.1966-1979.
20. Weerasinghe, C.,
21. Ce Zhan,
22. I. Kharitonenko, W. Li, C. Weerasinghe, X. Zhang, A Prototype of Intelligent Video Surveillance Cameras, International Journal of Information and Systems Science, vol.3, no.3, Sept. 2007. pp.222-230.
23. J. Randall, L. Guan, and W. Li, A Hierarchical Neural Network Model for Image Analysis, International Journal of Fuzzy Systems, Vol.6, No.3, September 2004, pp.136-146.
24. W. Li, P. Ogunbona, Y. Shi, and I. Kharitonenko, CMOS sensor cross-talk compensation for digital cameras, IEEE Trans Consumer Electronics, Volume: 48 Issue: 2 , May 2002, pp.292-297.
25. J. C. Bezdek, W. Li, Y. Attikiouzel, M. Windham, A geometric approach to cluster validity for normal mixture, Soft Computing, Vol.1, 1997, pp.166-179.
26. W. Li and S. Zhang, Extraction of Space-Features from Stereo Images, Chinese Journal of Computers, No.9, 1991, P.717-720
27. W. Li and S. Zhang, Space Feature Extraction from Stereo X-Ray Images ACTA Electronica Sinica, Vol.18, No.6, 1990, P.56-61
Refereed International Conference Papers (Selected)
26. F. Safaei, P. Mokhtarian, H. Shidanshidi, W. Li, M. Namazi-Rad‡ A. Mousavinia, Scene-adaptive Configuration of Two Cameras using the Correspondence Field Function, IEEE ICME 2013, San Jose, USA, 15-19 July 2013 (oral, nomination for the best paper award).
27. H. Shidanshidi, F. Safaei, and W. Li, A method for calculating the minimum number of cameras in a light field based free viewpoint video system, IEEE ICME 2013, San Jose, USA, 15-19 July 2013 (oral).
28. H. Shidanshidi, F. Safaei, and W. Li, Non-uniform sampling of plenoptic signal based on the scene complexity variations for a free viewpoint video system, IEEE ICIP 2013, Melbourne, Australia, 15-18 September 2013.
29. Lei Wang, Jianjia Zhang†, Luping Zhou, Wanqing Li, A Fast Approximate AIB Algorithm for Distributional Word Clustering, IEEE CVPR Portland, Oregon 2013.
30. Elahe Farahzadeh, Cham Tat-jen and Wanqing Li, Incorporating Local and Global Information using a Novel Distance Function for Scene Recognition, IEEE Workshop On Robot Vision (WoRV) 2013.
31. Hongda Tian, Wanqing Li, Lei Wang, Philip Ogunbona, A Novel Video-Based Smoke Detection Method Using Image Separation, IEEE ICME 2012.
32. Ce Zhan, Wanqing Li, and Philip Ogunbona Measuring Face Familiarity and Its Application to Face Recognition, IEEE Workshop on the Applications of Computer Vision (WACV) 2012
33. Qishen Wang, Ou Wu, Weiming Hu, Jinfeng Yang and Wanqing Li, Ranking Social Emotions by Learning Listwise Preference, Asian Conference on Pattern Recognition (ACPR), 2011
34. Ce Zhan, Wanqing Li, and Philip Ogunbona, Face Representation Based on Extended Non-negative Matrix Factorization, International Conference Image and Vision Computing New Zealand 2011
35. Ce Zhan, Wanqing Li, and Philip Ogunbona, Age Estimation Based on Extended Non-negative Matrix Factorization, IEEE Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing 2011
36. Hongda Tian, Wanqing Li, Philip Ogunbona, Duc Thanh Nguyen, Ce Zhan, Smoke Detection in Videos Using Non-Redundant Local Binary Pattern-Based Features, IEEE Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing 2011
37. Hooman Shidanshidi #1, Farzad Safaei #2, Wanqing Li, Objective Evaluation Of Light Field Rendering Methods Using Effective Sampling Density, IEEE Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing 2011
38. Ramakrishna Kakarala, Prabhu Kaliamoorthi, Wanqing Li, Viewpoint invariants from three-dimensional data: the role of reflection in human activity understanding, Proc. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) Workshop on Human Activity Understanding from 3D Data, 2011
39. Duc Thanh Nguyen, Philip Ogunbona, and Wanqing Li, Detecting Humans Under Occlusion Using Variational Mean Field Method, IEEE ICIP 2011
40. Duc Thanh Nguyen, Philip Ogunbona, and Wanqing Li, Human Detection With Contour-Based Local Motion Binary Patterns, IEEE ICIP 2011
41. Hooman Shidanshidi, Farzad Safaei, Wanqing Li, A Quantitative Approach For Comparison And Evaluation Of Light Field Rendering Techniques, IEEE ICME 2011
42. Ce Zhan,
43. Duc Thanh
44. Duc Thanh Nguyen, Zhimin Zong, Philip Ogunbona, Wanqing Li, Object Detection Using Non-Redundant Local Binary Patterns, IEEE ICIP, 2010.
45. LI Li, Weiming Hu, Bing Li, Chunfeng Yuan, Pengfei Zhu, Wanqing Li, Event Recognition based on Top-Down Motion Attention, Proc Intl Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), 2010.
46. Zhimin Zong, Duc Thanh Nguyen, Philip Ogunbona, Wanqing Li, On the Combination of Local Texture and Global Structure for Food Classification, IEEE Intl Symposium on Multimedia, 2010
47. Ce Zhan, Wanqing Li, and Philip Ogunbona, Head Pose Estimation Based on Extended Non-negative Matrix Factorization, Proc Image and Vision Computing New Zealand (IVCNZ) 2010.
48. Wanqing Li, Zhengyou Zhang, Zicheng Liu, Action recognition based on a bag of 3D points, Proc. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) Workshop, 2010, pp.9-14.
49. Duc Thanh
50. Ce Zhan, Wanqing Li and Philip Ogunbona, Face Recognition from Single Sample based on Human perception, Proc Image and Vision Computing New Zealand (IVCNZ) 2009
51. Duc Thanh Nguyen, Wanqing Li and Philip Ogunbona, A Part-based Template Matching for Multi-view Human Detection, , Proc Image and Vision Computing New Zealand (IVCNZ) 2009
52. Peng Chen, Wanqing Li and Philip Ogunboba, Kernel PCA of HOG features for Posture Detection, , Proc Image and Vision Computing New Zealand (IVCNZ) 2009
53. Duc Thanh Nguyen, Wanqing Li and Philip Ogunbona, A Novel Template Matching Method For Human Detection, IEEE ICIP 2009
54. Alister Cordiner, Philip Ogunbona and Wanqing Li, Face Detection Using Generalised Integral Image Features, IEEE ICIP 2009
55. Duc Thanh Nguyen, Wanqing Li and Philip Ogunbona, An Improved Template Matching Method for Object Detection, The Ninth Asian Confernce on Computer Vision (ACCV) 2009
56. Li Li, Weiming Hu, Wanqing Li, Xiaoqing Zhang, Ying Chen, A New Shot Detection Method Based On Optical Flow, IEEE Pacific Rim Conference on Multimedia 2009
57. Duc Thanh Nguyen, Wanqing Li and Philip Ogunbona, Human Detection Based On Weighted Template Matching, IEEE ICME 2009
58. Peng Chen, Wanqing Li and Philip Ogunboba, Greedy approximation of kernel PCA by minimizing the mapping error, Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications (DICTA) 2009
59. Li Li, Weiming Hu, Ying Chen,
60. Wanqing Li, Zhengyou Zhang and Zicheng Liu, Graphical Modeling and Decoding of Human Actions, IEEE MMSP 2008, pp. 175-180.
61. Xianglin Zeng, Weiming. Hu, Wanqing Li, Xiaoqin Zhang and Bo Xu, Key-frame Extraction Using Dominant-Set Clustering, IEEE ICME 2008, pp.1285-1288.
62. Alister Cordiner, Philip Ogunbona and Wanqing Li, Illumination Invariant Face Detection Using Classifier Fusion, LNCS 5353, Springer-Verlag, 2008, pp.456-465.
63. Yuan Zhong, Lei Ye, Wanqing Li and Philip Ogunbona, Perceived Similarity and Visual Descriptions in Content-Based Image Retrieval, Proc. IEEE ISM2007, pp.173-180.
64. Ce Zhan, Wanqing Li, Philip Ogunbona, and Farzad Safaei, Emotional States Control for On-line Game Avatars, Proceedings of the 6th ACM SIGCOMM workshop on Network and system support for games, NetGames 2007, pp.31-35.
65. Wenming Lu, Wanqing Li, Rei Safavi-Naini, Philip Ogunbona, A Maximum Likelihood Watermark Decoding Scheme, ICME 2007, pp.1247-1250.
66. Ce Zhan, Wanqing Li, Philip Ogunbona, and Farzad Safaei, Real-Time Facial Feature Point Extraction, LNCS 4810, Springer-Verlag, 2007, pp.88-97.
67. Gang Zheng, Wanqing Li, Philip Ogunbona, Liju Dong, and Igor Kharitonenko, Human Motion Simulation and Action Corpus, LNCS 4561, Springer-Verlag , 2007, pp.314-322.
68. Ce Zhan, Wanqing Li, Philip Ogunbona, and Farzad Safaei, Face to Face Communications in Multiplayer Online Games: A Real-Time System, LNCS 4553, Springer-Verlag, 2007, pp.401-410.
69. Ce Zhan, Wanqing Li, Philip Ogunbona, and Farzad Safaei, Facial expression recognition for multiplayer online game, Joint International Conference on CyberGames and Interactive Entertainment 2006 (CGIE2006), 4-6 December 2006 in Perth, Western Australia, IE'06, pp.52-58
70. Wanqing Li, Igor Kharitonenko, Serge Lichman, Chaminda Weerasinghe, A Prototype of Autonomous Intelligent Surveillance Cameras, IEEE AVSS 2006, 22-24 November 2006, Sydney, Australia, pp.101-106.
71. Ying Chen, Weiming Hu, and Xianglin Zeng, Wanqing Li, Indexing and Matching of Video Shot Based on Motion Analysis, ICARCV06.
72. Gavin Zheng, Wanqing Li and Ce Zhan, Cryptographic Key Generation from Biometric Data Using Lattice Mapping, ICPR 2006, vol.4, pp.513-516.
73. Liju Dong, Philip Ogunbona, Wanqing Li, Ge Yu, and Linan Fan, A fast algorithm for color image segmentation, ICIC 2006.
74. Wenming Lu, Wanqing Li, Rei Safavi-Naini and Philip Ogunbona, A pixel-based robust image watermarking system, ICME 2006. pp.1565-1568.
76. Wenming Lu,
77. Peter Schenkel,
78. L.Ye, L. Cao, P. Ogunbona and W. Li, Description of evolution changes in image time sequences using visual descriptors, LNCS vol. 3893, Springer-Verlag, 2006, pp.189-197.
79. W. Lu, W. Li, R. Safavi-Naini, and P. Ogunbona, A new QIM-based image watermarking method and system, 2005 Asia-Pacific Workshop on Visual Information Processing, Hong Kong, December 2005, pp. 160–164.
80. Wanqing Li, Mingren Shi, Philip Ogunbona, A New Divide and Conquer Algorithm for Image and Video Segmentation, IEEE MMSP 2005, pp.585-588.
81. W. Li, C. deSilver and Y. Attikiouzel, Simultaneous MAP estimation of inhomogeneity and segmentation of brain tissues from MR images, IEEE ICIP 2005, Genova, Italy. vol.2, pp.1234– 1237.
82. I. Kharitonenko, W. Li, and C. Weerasinghe, Novel Architecture for Surveillance Cameras with Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor Image Sensors, IEEE ICCE 2005, p. 6.4-9.
83. W. Li, P. Ogunbona, L. Ye and I. Kharitonenko, Visual Process Model and Object Segmentation, The 7th International Conference on Signal Processing, Beijing, Sept. 2004, pp.753-756
84. W. Li, C. deSilver and Y. Attikiouzel, A Semi-Supervised Segmentation of Brain Tissues, The 7th International Conference on Signal Processing, Beijing, Sept. 2004, pp.757-760
85. W. Lu, R. Safavi-Naini, T. Uehara and W. Li, A Scalable and Oblivious Digital Watermarking for Images, The 7th International Conference on Signal Processing, Beijing, Sept. 2004, pp.2338-2341.
86. C. Weerasinghe, W. Li and P. Ogunbon, Stereoscopic panoramic video generation using centro-circular projection technique, ICASSP’03, vol.III, pp.473-476.
87. J. Randall, L. Guan, X. Zhang and W. Li, Hierarchical cluster model for perceptual image processing, ICASSP’02, Orlando, Florida, May 13 - 17, 2002, vol. 1, pp.1041-1044.
88. W. Li, P. Ogunbona, Y. Shi, and I. Kharitonenko, Modelling of color cross-talk in CMOS image sensors, ICASSP’02, Orlando, Florida, May 13 - 17, 2002, vol.IV, pp.3576-3579.
89. J. Randall, L. Guan, W. Li and X. Zhang, The hierarchical cluster model for image region segmentation, IEEE ICME, August 2002, Proceedings. Vol.1, pp.693-696.
90. J. Randall, L. Guan, X. Zhang and W. Li, The self-organising tree map for color image segmentation, International Symposium on Intelligent Signal Processing and Communications, November 2001
91. C. Weerasinghe, P. Ogunbona and W. Li, 2D to pseudo-3D conversion of “head and shoulder” images using feature based parametric display maps, ICIP 2001, vol.iii, pp.963-966.
92. W. Li, P. Ogunbona, and C. Weerasinghe, Stereoscopic video coding: an overview, APRS/IEEE Workshop on Stereo Image and Video Processing, December 2000, Sydney, Australia
93. C. Weerasinghe, P. Ogunbona and W. Li, Depth creation: a review of current technologies for monoscopic to pseudo stereoscopic conversion of video sequences, APRS/IEEE Workshop on Stereo Image and Video Processing, December 2000, Sydney, Australia
94. J. Randall, L. Guan, X. Zhang and W. Li, Investigation of the self organising tree map, Proceedings ICONIP’99, vol.2, 1999, pp.724-828.
95. W. Li, J. Bezdek, Y. Attikiouzel, Estimating the number of components in a normal mixture, Proceedings of International conference on Information, Statistics and Induction in Science, Melbourne, Australia, August, 1996.
96. W. Li, M. Morrison, Y. Attikiouzel, Unsupervised Segmentation of Dual-echo MR Images by a Sequentially Learned Gaussian Mixture Model, IEEE ICIP 1995, Washington, D.C., USA, pp.576-579.
97. W. Li and Y. Attikiouzel, Unsupervised Segmentation of Dual-echo MR Images With an ART-Based Neural Network, ICNN’95, Perth, Australia, pp.2600-2604.
98. W. Li and Y. Attikiouzel, Initialization of Clustering Algorithms for Unsupervised Segmentation of Multi-echo MR Images, ANZIIS’95, Perth, Australia, pp.88-92.
99. W. Li, H. Xie and Y. Attikiouzel, An Efficient Method of Volume Rendering for Medical Slices, IEEE ICIP 1994, Austin, Texas, USA, Nov. 1994, pp.652-656.
· Guest Editor of Journal Visual Communication & image Representation, Special issue on Visual Understanding and Applications with RGB-D Cameras, June 2013
· Guest Editor of International Journal of Information and Systems Science, Special issue on Visual Information Processing for Large Scale Pattern Recognition, Vol.3, No.3, 2007
· Co-chair, CVPR International Workshop on Human Activity Understanding from 3D Data (HAU3D), 2011, 2012, 2013
· Co-Chair, The Australian Summit on 3D Multimedia (AU3DMM), 2011
· General Co-chair, ACM Symposium on InformAtion, Computer and Communications Security 2009 (AsiaCCS’09)
· Publication Chair, IEEE International Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing 2008 (MMSP'08)
· Co-chair of the special session on "Visual Information Processing for Large Scale Pattern Recognition", International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision 2006 (ICARCV'06)
· General Co-chair, First International Conference on Digital Rights Management: Technology, Issues, Challenges and Systems 2005 (DRMTICS’05).
· ICME 2013 The 2nd International Workshop on Emerging Multimedia Systems and Applications
· ICME 2012 Workshop on Human-Focused Communications in the 3D Continuum (HFC3D)
· IEEE International Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing (MMSP), 2006-08, 2010-11, 2013
· IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP) 2003-07, 2009-11, 2013
· IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expro (ICME) 2006 & 2009-11
· ACM Multimedia, 2010
· ACM First International Workshop on Connected Multimedia, 2010
· International Conference on Crime and Detection and Prevention (ICDP) 2009, 2011
· ACM International Conference on Image and Video Retrieval 2008
· The IEEE Symposium on Multimedia 2008 & 2007 (ISM08, ISM07)
· 7th International Symposium on Communications and Information Technologies (ISCIT 2007)
· International Program Committee of International Conference on Life System Modelling and Simulation (LSMS) 2007
· IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Image and Signal Processing CIISP 2007
· ICCCAS'05; IEEE ICFS'00; PCM'00.
· Australian Research Council (ARC)
· International Journal of Computer Vision, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence; IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks; IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems on Video Technology; IEEE Transactions on Multimedia; Computer Vision and Image Understanding, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, IEEE Transactions on Electronic Devices; Journal of Computer Science and Technology, Image and Vision Computing.
Last updated: 06 September 2013