Community Engagement at WIC
Woolyungah Indigenous Centre prides itself on engaging with the University, Indigenous Students and the local Aboriginal community when organising community events within the Campus.
WIC is proud to support the following local Aboriginal community events:
• Local Government Regional NAIDOC Awards Dinner 2011
• Reconciliation Event at Woolyungah Indigenous Centre 2011
• NAIDOC Family Fun Days- Illawarra and Shoalhaven
• Year 12 Indigenous Student Graduation- Illawarra
• Celebrating the Voice 11- Indigenous Writers Conference
WIC offers two options for High School Visits:
(1) Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Students in Years 11 and 12 could visit the University of Wollongong for a two-three hour excursion. This excursion will give the students a taste of the services available to them at Woolyungah and beyond. The excursion can be tailored to the needs and interests of the students and would include a BBQ with students and staff in the courtyard at Woolyungah.
(2) Staff from Woolyungah could attend your school and speak to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students from Years 10-12 about the University of Wollongong and Woolyungah Indigenous Centre. In the presentation we would explain the Alternative Admissions Program process and the supports available at Woolyungah. Again this program can be tailored to the specific needs and interests of the students.
We are hopeful that such presentations will help to close the gap on Indigenous levels of Education and encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to access the supports available to them through Woolyungah Indigenous Centre.