International Students

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

As an international student, it is a requirement of your student visa that you have student health cover for the duration of your study in Australia. 

The University of Wollongong has chosen Bupa as its OSHC provider.

When you have received your initial offer to study at the University of Wollongong, you will have the option to allow the University to organise OSHC through our preferred provider Bupa. Once you pay the full amount of tuition and OSHC fees the University will advise Bupa that you have paid. 

Bupa will then register you as a member and issue you with a membership card to your Australian address, if you do not have an Australian address, your card will be sent to UOW or UOW College.

If your OSHC is due to expire and you have used the University's preferred provider, you will need to renew your OSHC to continue to meet your VISA requirements. You can do this by making a renewal payment at Student Central or by paying direct to Bupa.

If you do not wish to go through the University's preferred provider you can elect not to pay the OSHC to the University. You will need to organise OSHC through another provider yourself.

Please note - It is your responsibility to ensure that your OSHC is current for the duration of your Student Visa.


What does Bupa offer?

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) from Bupa helps cover the cost of your medical treatments in and out of hospital, should you get sick or have an accident. You can take out OSHC on its own, but you also have the option to take out additional extras cover, which can provide benefits of dental, optical, physiotherapy, and much more.

Bupa also offers a 24-hour advice line that provides helpful information, including

- basic advice on simple medical problems provided by doctors and nurses

- contact details and location of the nearest medical facilities

- medical translation services, including reviewing bills and help booking medical appointments

- passing telephone messages on to your family

For more details on Bupa OSHC and extra cover,


Further Information about OSHC

For further information about OSHC, please go to the Department of Health and Ageing website.

Further Information about your Visa

For further information about your responsibilities of your student visa, please go to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's website

Contact Information

For details on Bupa OSHC, visit or call 1800 888 942. If you have further enquiries still, Ask US!

Visit us or contact us for further information

Student Central, Ground Floor, Building 17.

Opening Hours: 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday.

Phone: 1 300 ASK UOW

Facsimile: (02) 4221 4322

 Email: or Click Here

Important Information About Exams

Changes to Examination Rules in 2012 mean that International Students are no longer allowed to use a translation dictionary in exams. Find out more about Exam Rule Changes »

Student Mail Login Button
SOLS Login Button