A username and password are prerequisites for you to successfully use the University's eLearning environment. User accounts are issued when you enrol; your user account has an individual username and password. The use of a University user account is governed by various University Policies.
Your password is computer-generated and issued to you at enrolment. Your username will not change for the duration of your enrolment, however your password must be changed at least every 190 days.
Why are my Username and Password so important?
You need both your username and password to:
- log into your eLearning Space subjects
- access Library Online resources and services
- utilise Student Online Services (SOLS)
- access your University Webmail.
How do I manage my Password?
The following is an essential checklist for all users:
- Your password should be changed:
- at least every 190 days (if your password is not changed within this time, it will be disabled and you will not be able to access any online services ), or
- if you believe someone else has discovered your details.
- Change your password to something you will easily remember.
- Set-up your password reset challenge so you can reset your password without needing to make a request in person. Your password will need to be reset if:
- you lose your password,
- you forget your password, or
- your password has expired.
What is essential for me to Get Connected?
- Forward your Webmail to your preferred email account if you are not going to use your University Webmail account;
- Log onto SOLS at least once a week.
How do I change my Password?
You can change your password from the University Change Password page, by typing in your old password and replacing it with a new one.
How do I reset my Password?
Your password can be reset by:
- Speaking in person to University staff at the Student Resources Centre, Wollongong Campus or the Education Centres, Shoalhaven and Dubai Campuses.
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and requesting that your password be reset (this option is only applicable to students studying outside Australia or via distance education within Australia). Your email should include your full name and your University of Wollongong (UOW) student number.
- Yourself if you have activated a password reset challenge. The password reset challenge has you nominate a set of questions that you will answer when you need to reset your password.
Webmail or my own email?
The University's email system, known as University Webmail, can be accessed from anywhere in the world using a web browser on a computer connected to the Internet. Webmail is accessed using your username and password through
Student OnLine Services (SOLS)
| || |
How do I forward my Webmail messages?
If you have an existing email account you may prefer to have your University Webmail messages sent to this account. You can forward your University Webmail messages by following the steps below:
Help is available should you require assistance engaging with any of the UOW eLearning technologies or services.
How does eLearning@UOW benefit me?
The goal for eLearning@UOW is to support active independent learning as well as collaborative learning communities.
In developing competence as eLearners you will be developing a number of the UOW Graduate Qualities, including:
- skills to enable you to become an independent learer
- the capacity to act responsibly
- problem-solving skills