Awards and Rankings
We are, and always have been, about academic excellence.
At UOW, we’re proud to be among the best modern universities in the world. Throughout our 60-year history, we’ve built an international reputation for world-class research and exceptional teaching quality. In fact, employers have ranked our graduates as some of the most career-ready in the world for nine years in a row.
We’re in the top 2 per cent of universities worldwide and we’re aiming higher every day.
The number 1 university in New South Wales
Along with other recent awards and rankings, the Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) has ranked UOW as the number 1 university in New South Wales.
- Highest ranked university in NSW on QILT 2016
- Highest number of star ratings in the 2017 Good Universities Guide
- Awarded the 2015 Australian Financial Review Higher Education Award for graduate employability
Top 2% of universities in the world
- 218th in the world – QS World University Rankings 2016/2017
- 251-300 band – Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2016/2017
- 301-400 band – Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2016
- 313th in the world – U.S. News Best Global Universities Ranking 2017
- 314th in the world for research quality – 2014 Leiden Ranking
Globally ranked as one of the world's best modern universities
- 12th in the world – QS Top 50 Under 50 Rankings 2016
- 37th in the world – Times Higher Education Top 150 Under 50 Rankings 2016
Globally rated a five-star university
- 5 Star rating – QS World University Rankings 2016
- 5 Star rating in the 2017 Good Universities Guide for overall quality, student retention, learner engagement, learning resources, skill development, student support and teaching quality.
Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) 2015
- 98% of UOW disciplines that were assessed in 2015 were rated 'At', 'Above' or 'Well above world standard', based on results at the 4-digit FOR code level.
- More than 75% of assessed disciplines were rated as 'Above' or 'Well above world standard', based on results at the 4-digit FOR code level.
Top 1% for graduates as rated by global employers
UOW is consistently ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world for the quality of our graduates, ranking in the 151-200 band in the 2017 QS Graduate Employability Rankings.
Top 100 in the world 2016 QS world rankings by subject
- Engineering - Mineral and Mining
Top 150 in the world 2016 QS world rankings by subject
- Accounting and Finance
- Communication and Media Studies
- Engineering - Civil and Structural
- Materials Science
Top 200 in the world 2016 QS world rankings by subject
- Business and Management Studies
- Earth and Marine Sciences
- Engineering - Mechanical, Aeronautical and Manufacturing
- English Language and Literature
Recognition of our international focus
- Ranked 71st of the top 200 most international universities in the world - Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2015/2016
- Winner of the prestigious 2015 Hong Kong - Australia Business Association (NSW Chapter) Award, recognition of our contribution to the region through international education.
- Winner of a Business Excellence Award for Education and Training in the 2015 AustCham Westpac Australia-China Business Awards, recognising a long-term collaboration between the University of Wollongong and leading universities, research organisations and industry bodies in China.
UOW in the media
UOW academics develop crowd-sourcing system in Hong Kong..
Next generation fusion reactor could hold key to sustainable future..
UOW Motorsport wins international student competition..
Students bound for Indo-Pacific region under New Colombo Plan..
Online Masters enables access to international students..
UOW ranks in world’s top one per cent for graduate employability..
Weaving a powerful solution for energy generation..
India tops the batting order for international student experience..
Consul General of China visits UOW..
Scholarship strengthens ties with Dutch royalty..
World’s biggest health challenges to be confronted in Wollongong..