Length of Elective
- You may only apply for one (1) Clinical Elective placement
- Minimum of four (4) weeks up to eight (8) weeks
- Placements are only available from Mid January to Mid December - No placements over the Christmas holidays.
- There will be no formal credit or assessment given for the Clinical Electives placements. We offer these placements to Medical Students as an opportunity to broaden their experiences.
- We can not offer placements to students who require their clinical electives to be a substantial component of their medicine degree and require credit or University stamp or statement from the Head of the School of Medicine.
- You need to be in the final year of your medicine course at a recognised institution at the time of your placement
- must have at least 2 years of clinical experience
- Students need to be proficient in both written and spoken English and will need to provide proof of proficiency levels
- Must be in good academic standing with your home University
- Students require a criminal record check/statement from the appropriate authority within their own country. You should apply for this at the time of application. It is a most important document. Applicants are required to forward this statement to UOW with the application form.
- Student responsible for their own travel and living expenses
- Student responsible for their own travel and health insurance
- Cover from their home University for Public Liability, Medical Malpractice and Personal Accident insurance for the period of placement. They will not be covered by UOW.
- Visas – The UOW will not sponsor clerkship applicants. Visa requirements should be discussed with their nearest Australian Diplomatic Mission. Found on the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs website: http://www.immi.gov.au/
Expression of Interest
Students should complete the Expression of Interest form and email it to the Clinical Placement Facilitator for review. Once a placement has been found an application form will be forwarded to the applicant for completion.
Number of students admitted each year
Acceptance is at the discretion of the Regional Hospital Facilitators and is subject to student numbers and facilities available at the time.
All students are required to pay a non-refundable administration fee:
- $200 for Domestic students (Students enrolled in an Australian University)
- $300 for International students (Students enrolled in an overseas University)
Payment details are on the application form. Processing of your application will not be undertaken without receipt of fee.
- Tuition fees will be waived by the Dean
What's On - June
- 6th - Medical Education Seminar
- 26th - GSM Research Seminar
GSM Research Seminar
Speaker: Prof. Nagesh Pai, Foundation Professor of Psychiatry, GSM
Date: Wed 26th June 2013
Topic: Clinical Research: Perstringe, whinge, change and challenge
Download Flyer [PDF 44KB]