Council Nominations Committee
The Nominations Committee shall:
- act as the selection panel for the short listing and recommendation to Council of candidates for the Minister's consideration for Ministerial appointments to the University Council;
- act as a selection panel for recommendation of candidates for Council's own appointments to membership of the University of Wollongong Council ; and,
- act as the selection panel to consider recommendations for reappointments in both the above categories.
The Nominations Committee shall consist of:
- Chancellor (as Chairperson);
- Deputy Chancellor;
- 2 external Council members;
The Nominations Committee shall:
- in recognising the skills/experience base of current Council members, recommend to Council a list of persons with complementary skills/experience for appointment by Council or the Minister;
- as required, institute a search process to identify potential new Council members;
- monitor terms of office of members to ensure effective planning for the succession of Council membership;
- have regard to the following criteria when selecting persons recommended for Council or Ministerial appointment.
- When making its recommendations for the Minister's consideration for Ministerial appointments to the University Council, the Committee shall have regard to Section 9(1)(b) of the University of Wollongong Act 1989, which stipulates that the 6 external persons appointed by the Minister should, as far as practicable, come from the following categories:
persons experienced in the field of education or the arts;
persons experienced in technology, industry, commerce or industrial relations;
persons who are practising, or have practised, a profession; and
(d) persons associated with the Illawarra and the South Coast.
- When making its recommendations for all appointed members of Council, the Committee shall have regard to Section 9(6) of the University of Wollongong Act 1989 , which stipulates that, of the appointed members of the Council:
all must have experience and expertise relevant to the functions exercisable by the Council and an appreciation of the object, values, functions and activities of the University;
at least 2 must have financial expertise (as demonstrated by relevant qualifications and by experience in financial management at a senior level in the public or private sector), and
at least 1 must have commercial expertise (as demonstrated by relevant experience at a senior level in the public or private sector).
- The Committee shall also have regard to:
whether the persons being considered can contribute to Council by having (or having the capacity to develop) an appreciation of what are the external community needs from the University;
the extent to which the knowledge, skills and experience of the persons being considered will contribute to the effective working of Council.
gender balance and the development of a wide range of skills and backgrounds within Council membership.
The 2018 Schedule of Committee Meetings is currently under development. All approved and tentative dates advised to Governance have been updated on this schedule.
Please send any additions or changes to Governance.
This schedule includes meeting details for University Council and Council Committees, Academic Senate and its committees, as well as Faculty and other University Committees.
The 2017 Schedule of Committee Meetings is currently up to date. Any additions or changes should be sent to Governance.