Credit for prior learning
Your previous study, work experience and training may count as credit towards your degree.
Benefits of applying for credit:
- Reduced course length
- Reduced cost of study
- Eliminates duplication of learning as you do not need to learn skills and knowledge you already have
- Validates learning gained through work and life experience
- Enables credit transfer between TAFE and other approved higher education institutions
What type(s) of learning can be recognised?
Formal learning: learning that takes place through a structured program of learning that leads to the full or partial achievement of an officially accredited qualification. The University has a number of credit agreements with institutions both within Australia and abroad. Click here to view our current agreements / credit precedents. If you can’t see your previous institution or course, you may still be eligible for credit, and can submit an application for assessment.
Informal learning: learning gained through work, hobby and life experiences. Unlike formal or non-formal Learning, informal learning is not organised or externally structured in terms of objectives, time or learning support.
Non-formal learning: learning that takes place through a structured program of learning but does not lead to an officially accredited qualification.
What types of credit can I be granted?
- Specified credit is granted when an exact or near exact equivalence to a UOW course can be demonstrated.
- Unspecified credit is granted when an exact or near exact equivalence cannot be demonstrated. Unspecified credit is also granted for elective courses.
In highly prescribed courses it may not be possible to use all unspecified credit.
For more information, refer to the Credit for Prior Learning Policy
When can I apply?
We recommend you apply for credit at the time you apply for admission to the University. If you do apply for credit after commencing your study, you need to lodge your application by the end of the fourth week of session.
How do I apply?
- Step 1: Review the information on this website and decide what credit you are seeking.
- Step 2: Complete your form(s) and include your documentation.
- Step 3: We will assess your eligibility for Credit for Prior Learning and let you know soon!
Note: If you are applying for credit on the basis of informal or non-formal learning you are required to seek academic advice from your faculty.