Links are organised under the following categories. As far as possible we've tried to avoid repeating a site - each is listed according to its major focus only.
Note: The Web sites listed on this site were valid when the pages were posted. However, the Web is volatile, and we have no control over these other sites. Please e-mail if you have an update for a link.
- BBC World Service - Learning English
- Dave's ESL Cafe
- About ESL
English as 2nd Language from Kenneth Beare. Provides lesson plans for the four macro-skills, and the tips for teaching.
- English Club.com
Free site for learning English
Many sub-sites. e.g.
Samples of exercises/lessons: some for free, some to buy.
- Karin's ESL Partyland
- The Internet ESL Journal
Also has activities for ESLEFL students and teachers
Access to a large collection of free English language resources. Topics cover the spectrum of ESL, EFL, ESOL and EAP subject areas.
- Activities for ESL Students
For grammar, vocabulary, listening and pronunciation.
- English Exercises: Learning English Online-information for learners of English as a foreign language
Over 300 on-line exercises
- Interesting Things for ESL Students
Many, many things for ESL students, including word games, puzzles, quizzes, exercises, slang and proverbs.
- Eric Digests on ESL issues
- Sites for Teachers
- UVic's Language Teaching Clipart Library
Lots of pictures to supplement language materials, work sheets and web-based projects.
Large range of free ESL lesson materials and ESL lesson plans.
- Language Book Centre
- ESL_Home A Web Resource for CALL Lab Managers and for Teachers and Learners of Languages Online
prepared by Vance Stevens
- CALL on the Web
- Globe-Gate Call Research Centre
- What has CALL really achieved?
- IATEFL Computer SIG (the International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language Computer Special Interest Group)
- The English Language Institute - TESOL CALL Interest Section
- Sources of Software for Language Teaching
- Cambridge Dictionaries Online
- Merriam-Webster Online
- Free on-line English/(Other Language) dictionaries
- A system for the evaluation of ESL websites
- Thriving on screen: web-authoring for L2 instruction
- The WWW Home Page of Ruth Vilmi
- Mind, Culture, and Activity Journal
- Guide to Grammar and Writing
- Kid Info Grammar Helper
- Literacy Cluster Companion Website Chapter 1 -- Web Links
Phonics; Spelling; Grammar; Vocabulary
- Mind, Culture, and Activity Journal
- Teaching English with Technology
A Journal for Teachers of English
- CALL-EJ Online
- Internet TESL Journal
- Language Learning & Technology
- Prospect : A journal of Australian TESOL
A major forum for research articles and commentary on applied linguistics and teaching issues in ESL and literacy education, assessment and curriculum development, can be viewed at
- TESL-EJ Main Page
- TESOL in Context
An important Australian journal published by the Council for TESOL Associations, can be viewed and ordered at
- TESOL Quarterly
- The Reading Matrix: An International Online Journal
A peer-reviewed professional journal interested in exploring issues related to L2 reading, L2 literacy in a broader sense, and other issues related to second language learning and teaching.
- SIL Home Page (formerly Summer Institute of Linguistics)
SIL International Partners in Language Development
- eViews English Listening Exercises
For intermediate to advanced English students looking for listening practice.
- SIL International.
Focuses on developing programs in lesser-known and endangered languages and emphasizes using the mother tongue as the gateway to basic literacy. Contains links to articles, bibliographies and other resources
- Elementary Language Arts - Reading
- Short Stories
- The English Server Fiction Collection
- The English Club.com
- Children's Story books On line
Online stories for different ages and reading abilities. Most include pictures, some include sound and animation.
- Global Books in Print
- TESOL Publications: Technology
- Encyclopedia of Educational Technology
The Encyclopedia of Educational Technology (EET) is a collection of short multimedia articles on a variety of topics related to the fields of instructional design and education and training.
- WWW ESL Resources
- TESL/TEFL/TESOL/ESL/EFL/ESOL Links
Links of Interest to Students & Teachers of English as a Second Language
- The University of Wollongong Library
provides links to TESOL resources at
A free online practice site for English conversation.
ESL speaking activities for TESL TESOL & TEFL classrooms
This is the University of Iowa's ESL site with multimedia software - integrating listening and speaking skills.
- Pronunciation Power
- Task-based syllabus design 1
Literature review: EFL syllabus design
- English International Lyon
Exercises in English for Business
- Self-Study English Vocabulary Quizzes
- Online Writing Lab (Purdue University)