How to Apply: Research (HDR)
Entry into FCA Higher Degree Research (HDR) courses is determined by assessment of an application and research project proposal by our academic staff. Selected applicants are required to take part in an interview (via telephone or skype if necessary).
While the HDR application form advises applicants to contact the relevant Head of Postgraduate Studies and academic staff members as possible supervisors, in Creative Arts it is not really necessary for you to do this as, following assessment and interview, decisions about supervision for successful applicants will be made by staff.
In addition to completing an application, all Creative Arts applicants should provide the following:
- originals or certified copies of all academic transcripts
- an up-to-date curriculum vitae listing exhibitions, performances, publications, prizes, awards, research history and employment experience as appropriate
- the names and contact details of three professional and/or academic referees
- a brief description of work completed for previous undergraduate and postgraduate studies (including titles and one chapter excerpt of any theses completed)
All applicants (except Journalism applicants - see below) should also provide:
- a project/research proposal of 500-1,000 words. The proposal should describe your intended creative/research work (including thesis title) within the context of your discipline and intended course of study. A summary of the concepts underpinning the creative work and in-text citations and a short bibliography should also be included.
Applicants for the various disciplines should provide a portfolio and/or documentation as outlined below:
Examples of key original creative and/or theoretical work showing relevant skills in your chosen field of study. These should be uploaded with your online application. Alternatively, a link to a website containing this information may be provided.
A portfolio of design projects including samples of area of specialisation such as illustrations, visual identity, editorial or typography. Digital portfolios must be uploaded with your online application. Alternatively, a link to a website may be provided. All design work that is posted on an applicant's website must be clearly documented stating, date, client, design brief, purpose and outcome. Clearly document ownership if individual or studio and clearly acknowledge multiple contributors if any eg: photographers, illustrators, typographers, copywriters, web developers etc.
- A written statement detailing research history (maximum 1 page);
Up to 20 slides or photos of recent work indicating size, medium and date must be uploaded with your online application. Alternately, a link to a website containing images or recent work may be provided.
|Performance / Theatre||A portfolio outlining significant creative achievements including audio-visual documentation as appropriate to the applicant’s specialised area of artistic practice. The portfolio must be uploaded with your online application. Alternately, a link to a website containing images may be provided.|
|Visual Arts||Up to 20 slides or photos of recent work indicating size, medium and date. Digital portfolios are encouraged and must be uploaded with your online application. Alternately, a link to a website containing images may be provided.|
*NOTE: If it is necessary to send any material by separate email, please send it to email@example.com If material is sent by post, please do not send originals. Please ensure all material includes your name and address and the course you have applied for . If you would like any items returned to you, please indicate which items and include a stamped and self-addressed envelope. All care will be taken with materials sent, but no responsibility will be accepted.
Tel: 1300 367 869
Fax: 02 4221 3233
Closing Dates for UOW HDR Scholarships:
- For Scholarships commencing Autumn Session - 17th October
- For Scholarships commencing Spring Session - 12th March
For further information please go to: www.uow.edu.au/research/rsc/student/scholarships/index.html
HDR Scholarship Enquiries
Research Student Centre
Phone (Australia) (02) 4221 5452
Phone (International) +61 2 4221 5452
Facsimile (02) 4221 5697