PhD in Economics and Finance, Master in Finance and Economics, Bachelor of Statistics and Actuarial Science (Honours)
Telephone: (02) 4221 3739
Areas of Expertise: Microstructure of Financial Markets and Corporate Finance
Research Profile: UOW RIS Profile
Dionigi holds a Bachelor of Statistics and Actuarial Studies from the University of Calabria, Italy, a Masters in Finance and Economics as well as a PhD in Mathematics from the University of Naples, Federico II, Italy. Dionigi also holds a Diploma in Business and Accounting from the Grimaldi Institute in Italy.
During his doctoral studies, Dionigi was a visiting scholar at the University of Sydney, and has worked under the supervision of Professor Alex Frino. Dionigi’s doctorate examined the microstructure of Italian securities markets. In particular, he concentrated on documenting the relationship between liquidity and various changes in market structure. Dionigi also spend some time at the Sydney Future Exchange as a Visiting Scholar during the period, analysing changes in the microstructure of futures markets. Dionigi has presented his research at the University of Sydney, University of Madrid, University of Naples, University of Calabria and Sydney Futures Exchange.
Dionigi has held teaching positions at both the University of Sydney, and the University of Calabria. During his time at the University of Sydney, Dionigi taught classes in both Corporate Finance and Derivatives. At the University of Calabria, he was involved in teaching a first year mathematics subject.
In terms of industry linkage, since 2007 Dionigi well established collaboration with the Capital Markets Cooperative Research Centre in Sydney, which is funding one of his PhD students in the area of market microstructure. In 2009 Dionigi has been awarded the Australian Council Research Grant, and together with the Industry Partner, Regal Funds in Sydney, he is supervising two PhD students in the area of market microstructure and funds management.
Dionigi's publications include:
1. “An Empirical Test of the Black-Scholes Model: Evidence from the Australian Stock Exchange” (with S. McKenzie and Z. Subedar) - Australasian Accounting Business and Finance Journal (2007).
2. "Liquidity Under Auction and Specialist Market Structure: Evidence from the Italian Bourse” (with A. Frino and A. Lepone) - Journal of Banking and Finance, (2008).
3. “Do Derivatives Improve Managed Fund Performance? The benefits of cash equitisation using SPI200™ futures” (with A. Frino, B. Wong and A. Lepone) – JASSA, (2008)
4. “Patterns Of Disclosure And Volatility Effects In Speculative Industries: The Case Of Small And Mid-Cap Metals & Mining Entities On The Australian Securities Exchange” (with A.C. Worthington, D. Griffiths and P. O’Shea) – Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, (2008).
5. “A Survey Of The Relation Between Capital Structure And Corporate Strategy” (with M. Larocca and T. Larocca) – Journal of Australasian Accounting Business and Finance, (2008).
6. “Limit Order Book, Anonymity, and Market Liquidity: Evidence From The Sydney Futures Exchange” (with A. Frino and A. Lepone) - Accounting and Finance (2008).
7. “The Impact of Trading-Restricted, Business Days and Trading, Non-Business Days on Australian Small-Cap, Large-Cap and Market Returns” (with A. Worthington, C. Gulati, and M. Mistri) – The Social Science Research Journal (2008)
8. “The Effect of Diversification on Capital Structure” (With C. Smark, and M. Larocca) – Accounting and Finance (2009).
9. “The Intraday Behaviour of Bid-Ask Spreads Across Auction and Specialist Market Structures: Evidence From The Italian Market” (With A. Lepone) – Journal of Australasian Accounting Business and Finance (2010).