- Partner with a local employer.
- Work on a business challenge in a small inter-disciplinary team.
- Create innovative solutions.
- Develop real employability skills.
- Boost your resume.
UOW is looking for a group of bright and enthusiastic students A.K.A. iUnivators to come together and combine brain power, to solve real business issues for start-up companies operating out of iAccelerate based at Innovation Campus and local businesses based in the wider Illawarra region.
What's On Offer
iUnivative is a collaborative, student consultancy program co-organised by Careers Central and iAccelerate. It is designed as a team-based competition for UOW students to exercise their skills to provide best solutions to address a certain business challenge.
Students will need to commit at least 20 hours per week to the program, while working in small inter-disciplinary teams to research, solve and prepare a business report and then present their recommendations to their host organisation.
Each team will be partnered with one host organisation and will compete against at least one (1) other team from UOW. The host organisation will select a winning team to be announced at the Closing Ceremony. All iUnivators will receive a Certificate of Participation and can opt into receive UOWx recognition.
iUnivators will be responsible for:
- Collaborating in a multi-disciplinary team of six (6) and applying theory to practice;
- Developing key professional skills such as time-management, team building, business and customer awareness, problem solving, presenting, report writing, entrepreneurship and intercultural awareness;
- Writing a business report to be submitted on 21 February;
- Developing and presenting a fifteen (15) minute group presentation on 23 February;
- Developing firsthand knowledge and experience of an organisation;
- Attending regular team meetings as required;
- Liaising with organisations based at Innovation Campus;
- Fostering a positive and proactive work environment, and supporting peers with their professional and learning development;
- Contributing to the local and wider UOW community and representing the University of Wollongong; and
- Providing ongoing feedback on the program and alerting the iUnivative Coordinator to any issues should they arise.
By participating in iUnivative 2017 you’ll:
- Enhance the quality of your resume with valuable business experience, employability skills and achievements;
- Connect with prospective employers and build upon your professional network;
- Represent UOW in a professional environment; and
- Make life-long connections.
Eligible students will meet the following selection criteria:
- Must be a currently enrolled UOW student (all years and all disciplines, undergraduate or postgraduate, coursework and research degrees);
- Able to work under pressure;
- Effective communication skills and confidence when speaking to others;
- Effective organisational and time-management skills;
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a part of a small team; and
- Desire to improve professionally, and to support others in their professional and learning development.
How to Apply
If you think you have what it takes apply for iUnivative 2018. Applications close at 11:59pm on Sunday, 22 October..
Please follow the below application process:
- Complete the application form
- Provide responses to each of the selection criteria
- Conduct the key competencies self-assessment
- Submit a copy of your resume
|Key Dates/Times||Program Schedule|
|2 October 2017||Applications open|
|22 October 2017||Applications close at 11:59pm (AEST)|
|27 October 2017||First round offers sent to successful students|
|15 January 2018*||Orientation Session|
|25 January 2018*||Team Leader Training|
|29 January 2018*||Competition Launch / Networking|
|30 January 2018*||Team/Project Briefing by Host Organisation|
|2 February 2018*||Submission of Team Idea/s to tackle challenge|
|9 February 2018*||Mid-Point Training (Report Writing & Presentation Skills)|
|12 February 2018*||Student check-in with Host Organisations|
|15 February 2018*||Presentation rehearsals|
|16 February 2018*||Presentation rehearsals|
|21 February 2018*||Business Reports Due at 5.00pm|
|23 February 2018*||Final Presentation / Awards Ceremony / Networking Reception|
|7 March 2018*||Debriefing Session|
"I enjoyed the program and its challenges, it was good to be involved in a multidisciplinary team with people from different backgrounds. I also enjoyed having to learn about a new industry and present a report in a compressed time frame."
"It made me realise that I can do a lot more than I thought and my skills are quite broad...the experience clarified and helped me put into words some of my skills."
"As a research student, my future career plan was to get a research position at university or institute. And now I am confident to work in an industry or company, or even start my business."
If you have any questions about iUnivative please contact Rochelle Boys at firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 4221 4273.