Help to get your job
Getting Work Experience
Spring Careers Expo 2014
UOW Careers Central's Spring Careers Expo is back. You can expect well-known companies like Facebook and many more to attend this year, giving you the perfect opportunity to network with employers all in one location. The majority of employers attending the Expo on the day are actively recruiting students across many disciplines for a variety of graduate programs, vacation programs and internships. This is a good opportunity to practice your networking skills, research employers and your career options. Organisations will be registering to attend up until the day of the Expo, so check this page regularly to see who will be there. Careers Central will also be available on the day to answer any career related questions you may have.
EVENT DETAILSDATE: Thursday 7th August 2014
TIME: 10.00am to 1.00pm
VENUE: Exhibition Space, Level 1, Building 11, UniCentre
FREE FOOD AND PRIZES FOR STUDENTS
This is a not to be missed event! There will be FREE morning tea available for students between 10.30am and 11.30am.
There will also be awesome prizes to be won for completing the student feedback form on the day:
PREPARING FOR THE ExpoFOR DETAILED INFORMATION ON HOW TO PREPARE FOR THE Expo click here
TIPS ON WHAT EMPLOYERS DON'T LIKE TO SEE AT A Expo.
- Students who do not take the event seriously. Some employers have travelled a long way and are looking to spot students who are potential employees for their organisation so be sure you are switched on and attentive.
- Students who do not do any research before the event and ask employers what does this company do?, what does your company make? etc
- Students who do not listen to employers, lack eye contact and seem distracted and disinterested.
- Students who forget to turn off their mobile phones, eat while being spoken to or are too interested in the freebies on offer.
- Students who lack self knowledge and cannot provide information about themselves when asked. This is why you need to practice your 30 - 60 second introduction about who you are.
YOUR CHECKLIST FOR THE Expo
- Dress to impress - smart casual is the way to go!
- Do your research on employers who are attending - make a list of who you want to visit on the day
- Have a 30 - 60 second introduction and key questions written down and practised
- Get there on time
- Be positive and show enthusiasm. Body language is vital!
- Complete the student feedback form as you exit and go into the draw to win awesome prizes!
- Visit the Careers Central stand for careers related information
Date: Thursday 7th August 2014
Venue: UniCentre Building 11, Level 1, Exhibition Space
Time: 10:00am - 1:00pm