Job Applications, Resumes, Selection Criteria, Job Interviews ...
If you are looking for advice on 'Job Applications, Resumes, Job Interviews, Selection Criteria and 'How To Get Your Dream Job' you might want to look up the following information.
We have a wide range of resources and services designed to help you writing job applications, preparing for interviews and searching the Internet for job search related sites.
Careers Central produces a yearly resource called the 'The Edge', which deals with writing of job applications, job interviews and resumes and lots more. This resource is packed with information on how to find jobs, deal with interviews, write the resume which gets you the job as well as specific information for different student cohorts. Pick up a copy from the Careers Central office or view it on-line.
You can have your resume checked online by us. Email your resume as a MS Word Document to firstname.lastname@example.org and it will be available within 5 or 6 working days. Any corrections or suggested improvements to your resume will be noted on the word document. To be eligible to access this service you need to tell us your UOW student number and it is also useful if you let us know what kind of role you are applying for. To access this service you must have attended the Resume Workshop offered by Careers Central and /or have viewed our info on Resumes within ‘The Edge’. Check the workshop timetable and register on-line from here.
Both of these topics are covered in the workshop series. There is additional material regarding letters and selection criteria in our resource 'The Edge'. Check the workshop timetable and register on-line from here.
You should certainly attend our workshop on Interviews, and The Edge' also contains some very useful information on this topic. If you really wish to finetune and prepare for your important job interview – ring (42 21 3325) and make an appointment for a ‘mock interview’ with one of our advisers. When you call – let us now what kind of role it is for and if you have some of the job details – like selection criteria – please send them through via email (email@example.com) and let us know it is for a mock interview with an adviser.
Check the 'Notice Boards' outside Careers Central office for information on current job vacancies, up-coming workshops, information sessions, further study, and a variety of overseas opportunities.
We also have an extensive list of websites covering recruitment in:
- Australia and
In addition we have links to resources such as:
- Employment opportunities for people with disabilities
- Indigenous Services
- and many more...
WWW Resources on 'Resumes', 'Covering Letters', 'Selection Criteria', 'Job Interviews' and other job hunting activities
- Interviews and Beyond - This section of the Graduate Careers Australia site has been developed for graduates (and students) who will be sitting interviews for jobs, for Co-op/IBL positions or with placement agencies. It contains editorials on interview techniques and assessment centres, as well as psychometric testing and the transition from university to the world of work.
- Columbus State Community College's Career Assessment Tests Resource Page - this page offers links to a number of free online assessment tests, including Career Interest Assessment Tests, and Personality Assessment Tests. Some standard tests which graduates might find useful at this time of year with interviews and assessment pending, include The Career Key, The Holland Game, the Keirsey Temperament and Character Sorters and more.
- Quintessential Careers - Career and Job-Related Tutorials and other Job-Hunting tools
- Selection Criteria - covers the selection process for government jobs, the writing style needed for a quality statement to selection criteria, interview preparation.
- International CVs & International Resumes - Applying for a job abroad differs from country to country. Candidates should be aware that there might be subtle conventions associated with the international CVs, international resumes and job applications processes within different countries. Therefore, if you want your job application to be taken seriously, you must consider national differences correctly.
- Working Abroad Tutorial: International CV Format - description of how you should organize your international CV.
- AssessmentDay - If you've been asked to sit a psychometric test or aptitude test as part of your job application, you will want to perform your best. AssessmentDay allows you to practise the psychometric tests used by employers and gives you worked solutions to help you improve.
- Participating in an assessment centre soon? Call in to the Careers Service and arrange to watch 'The Assessment Centre' video. It shows what happens at a typical assessment centre when a major employer selects graduates with degrees in any discipline, and what the employers are generally looking for candidates.
- Graduate Careers Australia - Information about assessment centres, psychometric tests and interviews.
- Everything You Need to Know about Psychometric Testing! (PDF file) - Hints on what to expect, how to prepare and links to sites with practice tests from the University of Sheffield Careers Service, England.
- SHL Psychometric Testing - Hints on what to expect and practice tests. These are the style of tests typically used my large recruitment agencies on behalf of the organisation. In the past this brand of tests have been used by many companies including Telstra and the Commonwealth Bank of Australia.
- Psychometric Success - Everything you need to pass job selection tests - includes topics on: Psychometric Selection Tests, Personality Questionnaires, Aptitude Tests, The Assessment Center, Emotional Intelligence, Psychometric Tests FAQ
- Cubiks - Online practice for verbal and numerical tests
- Kogan Page - Verbal, Numerical & Abstract Reasoning tests with a personalised
- Morrisby Organisation - Click ‘test takers guide’ and ‘tests for selection’ for pages of
sample tests from abstract, verbal, numerical, perceptual and more
- PSL - Practice tests including numerical, verbal, logical and Branch Manager Questionnaire
- Job Test Prep - includes a wealth of free practice psychometric tests for students- including aptitude tests, personality tests, job interviews and assessment centre preparation.
- Download a PDF with more 'Useful Links' related to 'Psychometric Testing & Assessment Centres'
Whats Happening @ Careers Central
Stepping into… - is a paid internship program, specifically designed for students with a disability who want to get paid, hands-on work experience in an industry that is relevant to their degree and chosen field of study. Details here.