Professor Vera Mackie
BA (Hons), MA (Monash), PhD (Adelaide)
Phone: +61 2 4221 3179
Professor Vera Mackie is an ARC Future Fellow in the Faculty of Arts at the University of Wollongong. She is a member of the Institute for Social Transformation Research and a Research Leader of the Forum on Human Rights Research. Her Future Fellowship project is ‘From Human Rights to Human Security: Changing Paradigms for Dealing with Inequality in the Asia-Pacific Region’.
Vera has varied teaching, research, administrative and supervisory experience in the fields of Japanese language and linguistics, Japanese history, gender studies and cultural studies. She supervises research in Asian Studies. gender and secuality studies, cultural studies, citizenship studies and human rights research.
In addition to previous positions at Swinburne, the University of Adelaide, the University of Melbourne and Curtin University, she has been a Visiting Professor at Victoria University, Ochanomizu University and Hitotsubashi University and has held fellowships at New York University, the National University of Singapore, the University of the Philippines, Chûô University and the Australian National University.
Special Issues of Journals:
- Special Issue on Human Rights in Asia, Asian Studies Review,edited by Vera Mackie, 2013 in press.
- Special Issue on The Cultural Politics of the City in Modern Japan, Japanese Studies, December 2011, edited by Vera Mackie.
- Special Issue on Performing Globalisation, Intersections: Gender and Sexuality in Asia and the Pacific, No 23, January 2010, edited by Vera Mackie and Mark Pendleton.
- Special Issue on Globalisation and Body Politics, Asian Studies Review, September 2009, edited by Vera Mackie and Carolyn S. Stevens,
- Special Issue on The Space Between: Languages, Translations, Cultures, Portal: Journal of Multidisciplinary International Studies, 2009. edited by Vera Mackie, Ikuko Nakane and Emi Otsuji.
- Special Issue on Gender, Governance and Security in Australia, Asia and the Pacific,Intersections: Gender, History and Culture in the Asian Context, No 15, May 2007, edited by Vera Mackie and Sarah Pinto.
- Feminism in Modern Japan: Citizenship, Embodiment and Sexuality. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- Gurôbaruka to Jendâ Hyôshô ("Globalisation and Representations of Gender"). Tokyo: Ochanomizu Shobô, 2003.
- Creating Socialist Women in Japan: Gender, Labour and Activism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1997.
- Paul Jones and Vera Mackie (eds) Relationships: Japan and Australia, 1870s - 1930s. Melbourne: History Monographs and RMIT Publishing, 2001.
- Anne-Marie Hildson, Martha Macintyre, Vera Mackie, and Maila Stivens, (eds) Human Rights and Gender Politics: Asia-Pacific Perspectives. London: Routledge, 2000.
Searchable RIS publications from 2000 to date