Bikes On Campus
Riders should check the roadworthiness of their bikes by checking the following:
- Check tyre treads are roadworthy.
- Check tyre pressure.
- Check brakes.
- Check gearing.
- Check batteries in head and tail lights are charged.
- Check helmet.
- Check gloves.
- Check eye protection.
- Check water bottle.
- Make sure that you take in water/fluids regularly when riding .
- This is particularly important on warmer/hot days.
- Observe road rules.
- Observe additional rules of road for bike riders.
- Observe general safety of others around you.
- NSW Road Rules can be located at the Roads & Maritime Services (RMS) web page.
Big Safety Tips
When riding during the day always:
- Wear on your head, a fitted correctly, approved helmet.
- Ensure a working horn or warning bell is affixed to the bike.
- Ride safely.
- Slow down and exercise caution when around pedestrians.
- Sound your bell if approaching pedestrians, particularly when travelling from behind pedestrians who may not see you and may be startled.
When riding after dark always:
- Turn on your front headlight and rear red lights.
- Wear bright clothing or a safety vest.
See also RMS website on Cycle safety