Clean up Australia Day
UOW staff and students are encouraged to participate in Clean Up Australia Day on Sunday March 3rd. Please keep an eye on local media in case of the event being postponed due to inclement weather. If you are in the Wollongong City Council area, visit the council website or see the section below labelled Wollongong City Council Clean-up Sites. For other areas visit www.cleanupaustraliaday.org.au to find your nearest cleanup site or see the 'Links to other council's clean up sites' section on this page.
On the day
To participate arrive at your nearest registration site as per the times listed on the website, complete the volunteer registration forms and collect your clean up bags.
What to bring
You will need to bring along your own gloves, hat, sunscreen, closed in shoes or boots, watter bottle and/or food. Remember slip, slop and slap.
There will be registered clean up sites across the region. Council will coordinate clean up activities from the registration points below. Volunteers don't need to register beforehand to Clean Up Australia Day. You can just turn up at the existing site on the designated day.
Saturday 2 March 2013
- Western side of Bellambi Lagoon, 9am - 12pm
- Port Kembla Beach (meet on the grass behind the pool), 8am
- Berkeley Pioneer Cemetery, Investigator Drive, Unanderra, 9am - 12pm
Sunday 3 March 2013
- Burning Palms SLSC, 9am - 12pm
- Old Mine Surgery, Parkes Street, Helensburgh, 9am - 12pm
- Sri Venkateswara Temple, Helensburgh, 8am - 12pm
- Otford Tennis Courts, 9am - 12pm
- Sandon Point to Bulli SLSC, 10am - 12pm
- Whartons Creek Bulli (between Artis Street bridge and Willcath Street bridge), 9am - 12pm
- Thirroul SLSC, 9am - 12pm
- McCauley's Beach, Thirroul, 4 - 6pm
- Woonona SLSC to Bulli SLSC, 8 - 10am
- Bellambi Lagoon, Murray Road, East Corrimal, 9am - 12pm
- Corrimal SLSC, 9am - 12pm
- Puckey's Estate, Squires Way, North Wollongong, 9am - 12pm
- City Beach, Marine Drive Wollongong (near Ted Tobin viewing platform), 9am - 12pm
- Richardson Park, Keiraville (end of Rosedale Street), 10am - 12pm
- Corner of O'Briens Road and Murray Park Road, Figtree (near roundabout), 9 - 10am
- Port Kembla Salvation Army, 132 Wentworth Street, 9am - 12pm
- Kembla Heights Community Hall, Mount Kembla, 9am - 12pm
- Illawarra Rowing Centre, Northcliffe Drive, Berkeley, 9am - 12pm
- Berkeley Boat Ramp, Northcliffe Drive, Berkeley (near the fish market), 9am - 12pm
- Nan Tien Temple, Berkeley Road, Berkeley, 9am - 12pm
- Hooka Point, Holborn Street car park, Berkeley, 9am - 12pm
- End of Hooka Creek Road, Berkeley, 9am - 12pm
- Windang SLSC, 9am - 12pm
- Yallah Boat Ramp, Yallah Bay Road, 9 - 10am
- McDonald's Woonona, 8 - 10am
- McDonald's Fairy Meadow, 8 - 10am
- McDonald's Wollongong, 8 - 10am
- McDonald's Figtree, 8 - 10am
- McDonald's Dapto, 8 - 10am
- McDonald's Warrawong, 8 - 10am
Weerona College Students participate in Clean up Australia 2012
In 2012, twenty two Weerona College students participated in Clean up Australia Day. In a few hours they managed to fill fifteen of the large sacks provided and cleaned up a wide area including:
- Weerona College.
- Wollongong Tennis Club.
- Wiseman's Oval.
- Wisman's Bushland Reserve.
- Weerona East Reserve.
- Council land adjoining the railway line.
The strangest object they found was a small portable gas stove, they also seemed to collect a lot of socks!