Connect: UOW Living
UOW LIVING HAs expandED - UOW’s New Student Accommodation
In 2013, the University of Wollongong continued its expansion of Student Accommodation by adding 360 new beds to its current offering. The development will help to address some of the student housing shortage needs in the Illawarra region and the final precinct will be owned and managed by the University of Wollongong.
When can students apply?
RIGHT NOW. We are excited to welcome our first cohort of students, with more beds becoming available in Session 2, 2013.
The $40million development offers the same high level of student support as all existing UOW managed residences, with a particular focus on enhancing the student experience through a supportive and vibrant community.
About the Development
- The five story structure will comprise 360 beds, with a mix of single and four bedroom units.
- The residence will be self catered with access to modern living and cooking facilities in each unit.
- Features of the residence will include indoor/outdoor barbeque facilities, landscaped outdoor communal areas, recreation areas and meeting facilities.
- Undercover, secure parking for cars, motorcycles and bicycles
- The residence will be located adjacent to the current Kooloobong residence on Robson Road, in the south-west corner of the main UOW Campus.
Located in a bushland setting, the design will be sympathetic to the natural environment. Extensive interior design consultation is taking place to ensure the interior facilities are modern, functional, environmentally sound and aesthetic. Importantly, they are being designed with student needs in mind and student feedback and consultation is integral to the process.
The University is committed to establishing strong environmental standards in existing and future student accommodation locations. Most units in this new residence have north-facing windows, and the site will feature a rainwater harvesting reuse system, storage for 128 bikes, an organic vegetable garden and a suite of energy-efficient fittings.
About the Residence
The new development has become UOW's world first positive residence - a residence planned and run entirely based on the science of positive psychology and positive organisations. The vision of having every student flourish while living at UOW is firmly supported by the combination of wellbeing and education. The community will be lead and managed by Ms Alison Hemsley. Alison currently manages International House, The Manor and the existing Kooloobong site and has over 10 years experience of leading and growing communities which enable students to flourish.
This residence is ideal for:
- students who want Uni on their doorstep – students can walk to their lectures, sporting facilities or coffee shops
- students who are happy to cook for themselves or with friends
- students looking for an immediate social network – students will share units with roommates from around the world.
Check this site on regular basis for progress photos and updates.
Ph: 61 2 4221 5467
Follow us on Facebook! for regular updates on this project and all UOW Accommodation Services initiatives.